Weird Green/Brown streaks every few days

Jun 1, 2018
Chicago, IL
Hello TFP!

After getting my pool up and running for the first time this year using this site's advice, I have had no real problems with the pool. However, I have noticed something strange happening on the bottom of the pool. If I don't let the pump and filter run continuously, I will get these green/brown streaks on the bottom of the pool. Sometimes they are streaks, sometimes they are more like blotches. If I brush them or let the robo-vac run over them, they "poof" into the water. If I let the pump run continuously, the streaks/blotches don't happen as quickly or often. I think this is algae, but why is it coming back like this every few days? Every test I do shows a CC of 0.5 or less. I am basically dumping in a gallon of 10% LC every few days once I brush up the algae in order to kill anything that isn't going into the filter. Any ideas?

I would suggest you try testing and adding chlorine every day. I suspect your FC is falling below minimum if you wait several days between chlorine additions.

CC is not the best indicator. Do an OCLT for a better test. But the fact you see dead algae at all warrants a SLAM Process procedure to be followed.

I would suggest you try testing and adding chlorine every day. I suspect your FC is falling below minimum if you wait several days between chlorine additions.

CC is not the best indicator. Do an OCLT for a better test. But the fact you see dead algae at all warrants a SLAM Process procedure to be followed.

What's weird is that after my first SLAM to get the pool open and ready, this started happening a few days after I ended the SLAM (I passed all criteria to end it). At that point in time, I was checking the chemicals every day and adding what was needed to maintain proper FC levels. I am stumped.

It could be mustard algae. It is yellow/green-ish and powdery looking. A vacuum will sweep it up, but it will come back... in my pool, it was usually on the shady side of the deep end. I thought it was tree pollen at first, but then my normal maintenance chlorine wasn't enough to keep the FC up, and then my pool got cloudy and took me a week to SLAM it to death.

How do you numbers look....FC, CC, pH, TA, CH and CYA.

Your FC may be falling below minimum range if you're adding chlorine only every few days.

Hello TFP!

After getting my pool up and running for the first time this year using this site's advice, I have had no real problems with the pool. However, I have noticed something strange happening on the bottom of the pool. If I don't let the pump and filter run continuously, I will get these green/brown streaks on the bottom of the pool. Sometimes they are streaks, sometimes they are more like blotches. If I brush them or let the robo-vac run over them, they "poof" into the water. If I let the pump run continuously, the streaks/blotches don't happen as quickly or often. I think this is algae, but why is it coming back like this every few days? Every test I do shows a CC of 0.5 or less. I am basically dumping in a gallon of 10% LC every few days once I brush up the algae in order to kill anything that isn't going into the filter. Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.