Weir Wall Issue - Waterproofing Questions Efforesence

mojo1980

Gold Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Tenn
Hi TFP Family,

Got a tough question, I have a 37' Weir Wall, mastic was used. Im using Serveon NS200 for tile. I have a 3" tile line on pool side, 12"edge 45degrees tiled, and back wall is tile. Im two years into the pool, since the beginning of pool I got efflorescence on the back of the wall (troth side). Besides sealing the tile not sure what could be done. Is this common?

Check for hairline cracks in the grout letting water behind the tiles.

Reactions: mojo1980
This was waterproofed with Mastic but cementious grout not epoxy group. I had delimitation of tile in one section, I checked for cracks and there is a lot of small cracks on the top of positive side on the negative piece (45 degree). Thanks!

Mastic is not waterproof and if they truly used mastic, that was a very poor choice

"..... we feel that mastic adhesive is not appropriate for use anywhere where moisture is present. Although the manufacturer is correct in stating that tile will hold up to limited water exposure, who’d want to choose mastic over thinset when using it in area where limited water exposure could possibly end up being “more than limited”......

True mastic is derived from organic sources - an we dump gallons of chlorine in the pool to kill organics right???

Even if thinset was used (which I hope was) the thinset has to be rated for continuous submersion which very few are.

I can't see your situation and it might be too late now but a better solution than attempting to "Dang up" the water behind the pool is to put a french drain behind the wall and drain away the water. Water takes the path of least resistance so if you can let it flow away from the back of the wall the efflorescence will stop.

I can't see your situation and it might be too late now but a better solution than attempting to "dam up" the water behind the pool is to put a french drain behind the wall and drain away the water. Water takes the path of least resistance so if you can let it flow away from the back of the wall the efflorescence will stop.

This is on an infinity edge...the water is coming from the pool

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.