Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I was cleaning out my Dolphin robot yesterday and came across this in the basket.
Weir Stop.jpg
I put it into the "look into later" pile. Then this morning I noticed a large amount of air bubbles coming from the returns. I went over to the skimmer (I have only one), and saw that that the weir door was closed shut (forward) and very little water was entering the skimmer.

Here's the face of the skimmer, looking from the pool. Note: pump is on (low speed) in this pic.
InkedSkimmer Face_LI.jpg

I did a little research on the forum and here's what I think what happened. Somehow the "stop" cracked off. I went swimming last night after the pump had turned off. The wave action likely moved the door forward and without the stop in place, the door stayed closed. Then when the pump came on this morning it wasn't able to get enough water and hence the air bubbles.

Is this analysis correct?
How do I fix the broken stop? I can make out that it's a Hayward skimmer with a part number of SP1071 E or F. Not sure how anything could be re-attached to the quite thin plastic strip at the top of the skimmer.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yup, you can see where the part that broke is on the skimmer top.

I would try and epoxy it back in place. Or maybe use Pool Putty.

@1poolman1 @Pool_Medic what do you think?

Hayward SP1071 Skimmer.jpg

Reactions: DanF
Thanks everyone. As an update I used JB Weld's Epoxy Putty Stick on the piece that broke off, stuck it back on and held it for about an hour with 2 clamps.
Gave it the "cannonball" test and all seems good for now.

Epoxy

Attachments

• Clamps.jpg
    Clamps.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.