Weir door replacement.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
How do I get my weir door off so that I can fix or replace it. The styrofoam on the back keeps coming off so it’s not operating correctly when that happens.

I tried to identify the skimmer using the code on the lid but it doesn’t look right. The lid is a Sta-Rite U3 skimmer 08560 but when I search on that, the weir door doesn’t look like mine. I certainly don’t want to break it and find out I can’t replace it.

Post pics of your skimmer and weir door.
I know this might seem silly and I don’t mean it to be in any way, but how do I take a picture of the weir door - it’s kind of (mostly) underwater. Plus, from the inside, it’s in a bit of a tunnel. Not sure how to get a helpful picture out of that. I could zoom in from the front and get somewhat of a picture of it. Would that be helpful?

Can you remove the weir door for it's photo?

You say your door does not look like one from Sta-Rite U3 skimmer 08560.

I'd like to have others look at the door your have and also try and verify you do have a Sta-Rite U3 skimmer 08560. We need to see pics to do that.

Well taking a picture helped a ton. I pushed the door shut so the water would go down and I could stick my phone in the skimmer and get a picture of the back of the door. Got lucky and captured a picture with the part number staring at me. Yeah! Even better, I think the only thing I need is some new styrofoam. I think mine somehow shrunk. I might be able to order the styrofoam or just wing it and cut myself a new piece.

Looking up the part, I might even be able to figure out how to get it out of there.

To be continued. . .

Reactions: Newdude
All done. The only thing I don’t know is if the styrofoam I used will break down in the pool. The original foam was more like a pool noodle foam. The styrofoam I used is the typical ridged styrofoam they use in packing things in a box for shipping. If it breaks down, I’ll just buy a whole new door now that I know the part number. Still, I don’t understand why the original foam shrunk. Pics below are of the original foam and my replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_3541.jpeg
    IMG_3541.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3543.jpeg
    IMG_3543.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3544.jpeg
    IMG_3544.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 8
That is a Waterway weir door. So if your skimmer is a Sta-Rite then the door was already replaced with the waterway.

The foam might also be a replacement and not original from Waterway.

Reactions: pb4uswim
That is a Waterway weir door. So if your skimmer is a Sta-Rite then the door was already replaced with the waterway.

The foam might also be a replacement and not original from Waterway.
The part number for the skimmer basket is Waterway also. Maybe the lid/cover to the skimmer is the part that doesn’t belong. Either way, I appreciate your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Figured it out. The U3 lid does not belong. I have a lid that covers the hole that they use to see if there is ground water at the base of the pool. I took a look at that and guess what, that had a Waterway lid on it. That must be the one that came with the skimmer. Not that it matters but I went ahead and put the Waterway lid on the skimmer and the Sta-Rite on the sight hole. Man does my OCD feel better now. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: