Gouge

Jul 6, 2019
Jonesborough, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have had a hard time getting my pump to hold a prime when starting up. I would prime and start them it would run and pull the door closed and pull air. After several days and doing everything I could imagine. I tried starting it again and holding the door down. And what do you know. It worked!!! So I just slipped it out of the skimmer and let it run. My ? Is. Do I need a door and if I do how do I keep it from closing and cutting off the water supply??

A weir door, when the pump is running at a proper speed, operates to create a cascade effect and accelerates the water flow from the pool surface down towards the skimmer basket and pump.
The door should swing inward toward the skimmer basket and with the flow. The top edge of the door should "ride" just below the pool water surface with the pump running and sit above the water surface when the pump is off to trap debris inside the box and not allow it to spill back out into your pool.
The only possible way a weir door could significantly slow the water towards the basket is if it was stuck in the closed or upright position at the skimmer opening and against the flow.

Last edited:
It’s not stuck it’s like the pump pulls to hard and pulls it shut and therefore to qi not pull water just air.
That implies your water level is too low.

Without the weir door you will not skim the pool very well. And when the pump turns off, all the stuff in the skimmer will go back out into the pool.

Wait. When you say the pump pools the door shut, what happens if you push on the door? You want to push it towards the skimmer, so towards the outside of the pool.

It sounds like your weir flap is pointed out toward the incoming flow of water (somehow - because normally not possible - maybe in backwards?), hence why picture is needed.

The flow of water over the flap, when it starts, drops the top edge of flap down about a half inch or so due to the water flowing over it. They can get stuck in the upright position, that's possible, but the pump could not cause it under normal circumstances.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh yeh, I meant to say, in answer to your question "Is it needed?"

Skimming is better with a weir flap, by a wide margin.

However, water circulation and mixing, filtration of particles, and chlorinator or heater operation is pretty much the same without a weir flap.

Check to see if the weir door has foam in it, its the foam that lets it float on the water.

I was just about to post the exact same suggestion, 3 Minutes too slow...

And yes Gouge, you need a a weir door. Without, you are pulling water from below the water surface in, no skimming at all.

Well... I do two pools with no weir flap, and two that have the cleaner plugged in nearly 100% of the time holding the weir flap down, and they all skim leaves and other debris. To get it done quickly or completely, the weir flap certainly needs to be working, but my experience has been there's still a fair bit of skimming happening. It depends also on wind and how well the return jets are aimed.

OK, "no skimming at all" was a bit harsh. But the difference is striking, in my opinion. With the weir door pushed down, most debris in the surface just floats past the skimmer, only a small fraction ends up the the skimmer. As soon as the weir door can do it's thing, you instantly see the surface flow into the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.