week long algae battle

May 22, 2018
Indianapolis
Hello everyone so I have been battling what I believe to be yellow algae my first question is how do I know its dead the color of the pool is still a little off like almost a teal color my chlorine levels are super high and holding for some reason. something just seems off I am a longtime pool owner and never had an issue like this before. My levels are
FC 10 (20) +
TC 10+
CYA 50
Alk 80
P.H 7.4

Hello everyone so I have been battling what I believe to be yellow algae my first question is how do I know its dead
The easy way is to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT).

It appears from your test results that your current chlorine test maxes out at 10ppm. If that's true, or if your test can't measure with 0.5ppm precision, get a good FAS-DPD chlorine test kit instead. The Taylor K-1515-A test kit is $32 from tftestkits.net, or $41 direct from Taylor, or you can get a complete test kit from tftestkits.net that also measures pH, TA, CH, and CYA for between $100 and $200, depending on options.

Once you have the FAS-DPD test, you can do an OCLT -- measure chlorine after sunset, measure again in the morning before sunrise, and see how much FC you lost overnight. If the loss is more than 1ppm, that tells you that algae is still alive and being killed by your chlorine. There's a process called SLAM that you can follow to eliminate the algae.

There's lots more information on test kits, OCLT, and SLAM in the Pool School and Wiki sections.

The easy way is to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT).

It appears from your test results that your current chlorine test maxes out at 10ppm. If that's true, or if your test can't measure with 0.5ppm precision, get a good FAS-DPD chlorine test kit instead. The Taylor K-1515-A test kit is $32 from tftestkits.net, or $41 direct from Taylor, or you can get a complete test kit from tftestkits.net that also measures pH, TA, CH, and CYA for between $100 and $200, depending on options.

Once you have the FAS-DPD test, you can do an OCLT -- measure chlorine after sunset, measure again in the morning before sunrise, and see how much FC you lost overnight. If the loss is more than 1ppm, that tells you that algae is still alive and being killed by your chlorine. There's a process called SLAM that you can follow to eliminate the algae.

There's lots more information on test kits, OCLT, and SLAM in the Pool School and Wiki sections.
Ok I'll get one of those kits just sucks this happening at the end of the season

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.