Wedding Cake Steps Weight Attachment Method?

aboykin2269

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pittsboro NC
Hey Everyone! Pool season is finally here in Central NC. I have question for the group. We have wedding cake steps that I weight down each year with 2 EA 4" PVC pipes with caps filled with sand. My steps have no shelf or tray to put weights on so I have been mounting them underneath with zip ties that come up through the holes in the stair treads. These last almost a whole season, but they seem to break every year with about a month left to go. Does anyone have an idea of what I could use besides zip ties that won't breakdown and break apart before the end of the season?

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 14
I can not see the thickness of the zip ties you are using but can you use thicker ones that may last longer?

Reactions: aboykin2269
I use poly rope. I have used the same piece of rope since 2018.
Its this exact one- I stole it from my kiddo😁
My steps, weights & rope stay in the pool year round.

Originally I used it with jugs & now with barbell weights.
I used the rope so i could set the weights on the ground then put the stairs on top of them while threading the rope through the holes in the back then once the steps are in place mostly I can pull the rope up tight from above & tie the knot making the weights hang from inside the steps. I have to use 50# to keep them from floating. They are very hard for me to move once the weights are hanging.

Reactions: Newdude