We should come up with a new term

I think it would be worthwhile to put a sticky thread in the just getting started forum titled "What 'shock' REALLY means"

People notice sticky threads and a title like that gets your attention. A well written 100 word summary would get the point across and could refer the reader to the full process via hyperlink.

I think this would be effective without having to create a new term.

I am really questioning whether anyone would read a sticky post. Just think about everyone's first posts. We have a sticky called "What we need to know to answer your questions" and many people come here and say "My pool is cloudy how do I fix it." No City and state, nothing about what type of pool, no test results. We also have "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis," but people still ask how to clear algae, even though everything is covered here. So I would have to say that there are many people who do not read what they are supposed to.

It wouldn't hurt though... Many people go straight to the forums. Pool school is too much to read for them. Yes, there will always those who post asking for help without reading anything but a sticky would catch a few more people who are confused about shocking.

Those two different topic titles I posted aren't from Pool School, they are stickies in the Just Getting Started and Algae forums, respectively.
EDIT: I think I misunderstood what you wrote. Yes, it wouldn't hurt, and may help a few people. However, I think many, if not most people will not read it.

I'm in favor of changing the term, but I think we'll be stuck with some form of "shock process" for years to come. If for no other reason then it has been used so extensively in the past on this forum. For the total newbie it'll be easier with a new term, but we'll still have to explain the change to those who've read/skimmed earlier posts or to returning members. That will happen less often as the years go by though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.