We all start here to get there - LV New IG Build

Jun 3, 2018
Las Vegas/NV
Hi all,

My wife and I built our home on 3/4 of an acre about 2 years ago. We have now somewhat recovered financially (lol) and are moving on to building our first ever pool and associated landscape. I would really appreciate any insight or recomendations. Here is a 3d design concept.

Pool_Design.jpg

Here are the current details we are considering;

• Custom built pool 36’x 41’ (3’ to 7’ depth)
• Engineered plans
• Building permit
• track hoe Excavation with hand shaping double gate access
• all of hard soil hammering if required up to 5’depth included
• Pool code existing gate
• Grading required to insure proper drainage
• Steel reinforcement per ASTM #A615.
• Pneumatically applied shotcrete shell, using 4500 PSI air entrained
Concrete per ACI 318.
• Lifetime structural warranty (transferable to the next buyer).
• 3 steps at shallow end for ease of access
• 9’ x 7’ “Wet Step Lounge” with (1)
• (1) Umbrella sleeve in wet step
• 3 underwater bench per plan
• Jandy 460 sq. ft. “Versa Plumb”{sweeps & couplings} Cartridge Filter
• Jandy 2 HP Variable Speed circulation pump. Engineered for maximum
performance with minimal electrical use{ with flow meter}
• All suction lines increased to 3” for maximum performance
• All plumbing lines; schedule 40 * user friendly equipment
• Filter, pump and heater to be located as per landscape plan
• Exclusive “Quick Skim” skimmer with extra large catcher basket
• Exclusive Channel Drain for increased “heavy debris removal,” safety and
enhanced cleaning capabilities.
• A & A Manufacturing Venturi Powered “skimmer 70% greater suction 6 infusion
jets looped for greater circulation no dead zones Lifetime warranty
• Two tone cantilever deck steel reinforced
• All electrical hook-up
• Smartphone automation application with computer center to control pool/spa
functions
• Time clock for automatic pool operation.
• (3) color-changing lights in pool 1 spa
• 5’ x 8’ grotto waterfall with bench seating engineered worst case soil #4 steel
• Gunite /rock to cut steps in on back side of grotto sculpted rock z brushed
• Auto Chlorinator for enhanced water quality
• Automatic water fill
• Marble lite Interior
• 2 HP waterfall pump with separate suction and valve for water flow
• Waterfall to be monolithic with pool shell and pad life time warranty

SPA SPECIFICATIONS

• 7’ x 9’ Spa (36” depth) raised 12 inches
• Install all plumbing lines and valves as per plan
• Dual main drains for safety and extra cleaning capabilities
• All plumbing lines include a lifetime warranty
• (1) color-changing led light
• Jandy 400,000 B.T.U natural gas heater (shared with pool)
• Gas line and hook-up
• 6” or 12”x 24” custom waterline tile, frost free and acid resistant tile
• 6 Therapy jets.
• 1.5 H.P. Blower for additional therapy jet power
• Smartphone operated
• Split bench full circle seating and top step

As I mentioned above, we have never owned or built a pool so any comments would be appreciated. Additionally, we are considering increasing the depth to 8' to provide increased safety for the kids when they jump off the grotto (5' high). Has anyone built something similar and can provide input?

Thank you all!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: I'm not sure which impresses me most (as a Vegas native myself), the pool specs or that you were able to find 3/4 acre in the valley. :wink: That place has grown. Anyways, you have a very good spec sheet going. The one question I would ask about is for this item:
Auto Chlorinator for enhanced water quality
Check to see if that's an "In-Line Chlorinator (for chlorine tablets) or something else. I suspect it's for the tabs, but it would be good to know for sure. If that's the case, just know this ...... Tab feeders are fine for short-term use and that's about it. For long-term, regular daily chlorine sanitation you really have 3 good choices:
- Manually add some regular bleach or chlorine each day or as required
- Have a salt water generator (SWG) installed which converts salt in the water to FC (Free Chorine)
- Have a liquid chlorine dispenser installed which distributes chlorine as required

Overuse or reliance on tabs increases your CYA level too high because each tablet has stabilizer pressed into it. In just one season, a CYA level can get so high that the water needs to be replaced - the only way to lower CYA. They don't tell you those things at the pool store when you're buying a $100 bucket of tabs. :wink: Based on the features you are being proposed already, requesting an SWG may be just what you need to include into your automated routine. I add bleach manually, but thousands of members here love their salt pools for the convenience of FC maintenance and feel of the water. If you do go with a SWG, get once twice the size as the pool it's rated for. They work better that way. Something to think about. :)

Stay cool! :swim:

Will your water source be the normal LVVWD water from the lake or are you in the area with the well water?

I ask as it might be useful to see if you can plumb fill water from a water softener. Not to initially fill the pool, but to fill it due to evaporation.

The lake water without a softener will cause calcium scale to build up on your waterline and near any splash zones. Something to consider.

Take care.

Oh goodie! A new pool to build!!! I am so in on this one!

Lets get started!

-depths-3' is too shallow-you cannot do a full crawl stroke. Go at least 3.5'. If you do go 8' for the deep end I would have the shallow end at 4' to help ease the sloop.

-no pricing on what happens after 5' of rock..........THIS is very important. They can really get ya in the wallet if this is not spelled out. One of the newest builds I helped with even got them to put to not exceed $$ in her contract and it really paid off for her!

-model numbers for ALL equipment-very important so we can make sure it is big enough for your pool and will save you down the road if they try to slip in a smaller, lower cost model.

-SWG-here is a link: Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators You will thank us!!

-unions on all equipment AND good valves like this: Pentair Diverter Valves This is just the first one I could grab. There are other brands out there. NO ball valves allowed. They will break over time. The good valves are rebuildable!

I would LOVE to see where this jewel will be going!

Kim:kim:

One of the main regrets I see is people wishing they had used real rock instead of artificial.

Thank you, will consider it. Are these regrets based on looks alone or some other factor?

- - - Updated - - -

Will your water source be the normal LVVWD water from the lake or are you in the area with the well water?

I ask as it might be useful to see if you can plumb fill water from a water softener. Not to initially fill the pool, but to fill it due to evaporation.

The lake water without a softener will cause calcium scale to build up on your waterline and near any splash zones. Something to consider.

Take care.

The water source will be normal LVVWD water. I was not aware of this fact, will see if I have a hose bib connected to my softner that can be reached for the autofill. I believe I have one or two, sadly not the closest to the pool though. Thank you for the advice.

If you are able to get water from a softener, that assists in calcium buildup in the water. However, your TA will still build. So you will still have significant muriatic acid consumption.

Colorado River/Lake Mead water has ~250 ppm CH and ~140 TA. With our evaporation your CH will nearly double in a year or less if using the raw water for makeup. Essentially you will need to drain and refill the pool every 2 to 2 1/2 years. IF you manage your water TFP. If you use pucks and pool store, plan on a drain every year.

Oh goodie! A new pool to build!!! I am so in on this one!

Lets get started!

-depths-3' is too shallow-you cannot do a full crawl stroke. Go at least 3.5'. If you do go 8' for the deep end I would have the shallow end at 4' to help ease the sloop.

-no pricing on what happens after 5' of rock..........THIS is very important. They can really get ya in the wallet if this is not spelled out. One of the newest builds I helped with even got them to put to not exceed $$ in her contract and it really paid off for her!

-model numbers for ALL equipment-very important so we can make sure it is big enough for your pool and will save you down the road if they try to slip in a smaller, lower cost model.

-SWG-here is a link: Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators You will thank us!!

-unions on all equipment AND good valves like this: Pentair Diverter Valves This is just the first one I could grab. There are other brands out there. NO ball valves allowed. They will break over time. The good valves are rebuildable!

I would LOVE to see where this jewel will be going!

First, I look forward to undergoing this process with everyone and sincerely appreciate all the time, effort and advice!!

- Regarding the depth, worried 4' is to deep for our kids to comfortably play in the shallow end such as basketball etc. Not to mention we have plenty of younger family members. If we go to 8' looking to do more of a dive pool slope for that section. Perhaps 3.5' is a good compromise. Any further thoughts?

- I'll see if I can get a max price point added for the rock. Sadly, the main concern in our area is caliche however i have 3 neighbors around me who have gotten pools and had no issue so I think I'll be ok...however better safe than sorry.

- GREAT IDEA about the model numbers, I hadn't pursued this information as of yet due to still finalizing the shape depth etc, but will ask the question and get back with the info.

- Was worried about the SWG having trouble for such a large pool, not to mention the effects it could/would have on the rock features. PB had also recommened not going the SWG route. Anyone in Las Vegas or similar area with large pool go the SWG route?

- All this is new to me so I'm having to research unions and valves lol. My history is all IT based so plumbing etc is far outside of my wheelhouse. I like the ideas of unions (assuming my research is accurate) to expedite any repairs and issues later on. Will request diverter valves. Do I need these for all valves?

Again thank you for all the help and advice. Please keep it coming!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool depth and water depth are not the same, so make sure everyone is comparing apples to apples. I am building a vinyl liner pool, and the shallow end is the typical dimension of 40" from floor to top of the wall, and water depth will be roughly 36".

If I hear somebody say "3' shallow end" I think 3' pool depth and 2'8" water depth. If I had to guess, your plans are actually for 3' of water, so your pool walls are probably closer to 3'6" deep.

Pool depth and water depth are not the same, so make sure everyone is comparing apples to apples. I am building a vinyl liner pool, and the shallow end is the typical dimension of 40" from floor to top of the wall, and water depth will be roughly 36".

If I hear somebody say "3' shallow end" I think 3' pool depth and 2'8" water depth. If I had to guess, your plans are actually for 3' of water, so your pool walls are probably closer to 3'6" deep.

All of my measurements are based off of true water depth. I doubt anyone cares how deep the hole is.

How many gallons are you expecting this pool to be?

I have a very small pool. I would not have a pool without a SWCG.

How did you plan to chlorinate it? Only other real option is a Stenner dosing pump with liquid chlorine. You cannot use solid chlorine, unless you are willing to drain some water every month or so and a full drain once a year.

Good luck.

Depth-3.5' will work and is a good compromise.

valves-I would get them on all. Your NV sun is brutal and any "not good" ball valves will get brittle fast.

SWG-Marty lives in your neck of the woods but I will invite a couple of others from your area over to your thread so they can give input.

Here is a link to a build in your area: Vegas OB! Just got plans back and need some feedback (pics included :) ))

So I agree with a SWG first! My neighbor had a puck feeder and I just had to help him turn his off and now he is replacing with SWG and his cya is already over 120 and his pool is under a year old :/
Second you have to remember the kids keep getting bigger so 4ft is not that deep plus your pool is pretty long so you can start at 4 and keep it that way a while before you drop to 8ft.
I also agree with getting the right valves, our weather is hard on everything so getting these small things right will save you tons in the long run. I can also tell from the specs who is building the pool lol
With any grotto or rock structure after a while it needs to be repainted or cleaned extremely well, the better care you take of it the better it will look.
I’m in town and would be happy to answer anything I’m able too
Only other thing I see is I would consider a bench near the spa so adults can chill over there especially if that’s the shallow end and maybe a solar heating system. I passed on that and that’s something I wish I did and I will do now within the next year . VEGAS gets warm fast starting April and May but has cool nights which means your water doesn’t get warm until June and I HATE cold water and I been using my heater like crazy and it still doesn’t keep up but my buddy imaz has solar and his pool is 86+ degrees ( angry angry face)

Sorry for being MIA, we all headed out to Oregon to attend my sisters graduation and are slowly getting back into normality.

So after talking things over with wife and PB we have taken everyone's suggestion and increased the shallow to 3'6" and the depth to 8'. This has made our pool size 34,000 gallons.

We will be using Jandy equipment made up of the following

All valves will be Jandy Pro Series Valves with Never Lube technology model 4719

CV Cartridges Filter model CV460 (opted out of the CV580 due to filter weight and size being too much for easy maintenance.)

JXi Pool & Spa Heater model JXI400NN

EPUMP + SVRS model JEP2.0SVRS

PLUSHP model PHPF2.0 for waterfall

Nicheless LED Pool Lights model JLU4C30W150

Aqualink RS

iQPUMP01

Will probably go with SWG as thoughts on this subject seem universal and going against the universe never works for anyone. With that said PB has given us the option of either the Jandy pro series Trueclear SWG (downside is it's expensive and maxes out at 35,000 gallons) alternatively we could get the Del Ozone 50 (maxes out at 50,000 gallons and cheaper for our budget). Any thoughts regarding which one?

Thank you all for your thoughts and inputs regarding the equipment. It's easy for us to change to other equipment within Jandy products, but not really other brands at this time.

Sounds like solid plans EXCEPT this "Del Ozone 50 (maxes out at 50,000 gallons and cheaper for our budget)". This is NOT a SWG (Salt Water Generator). Here is a link that talks about the Ozone system. It is towards the middle. Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

We need to look at a bigger SWG for you. I will see what I can find. In the mean time you can do some looking around also. I have a training to go to for the day so it will take me a while to do the looking.

Good catch, guess I will need to do some research because I didn't catch that at all. Thank you!

Enjoy your training.
Sounds like solid plans EXCEPT this "Del Ozone 50 (maxes out at 50,000 gallons and cheaper for our budget)". This is NOT a SWG (Salt Water Generator). Here is a link that talks about the Ozone system. It is towards the middle. Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

We need to look at a bigger SWG for you. I will see what I can find. In the mean time you can do some looking around also. I have a training to go to for the day so it will take me a while to do the looking.

Gorgeous pool plan!!! I love it! That's a big pool - my favorite kind. Lol!!!

Where are your steps for entering the pool? I'm sure they are there, but I can't seem them in the rendering.

I think you will be disappointed in your CV 460 cartridge filter. I have the Jandy 580 for my 23K gallon pool. I'm not sure I understand that the 460 is for ease of cleaning. I'm an old woman and the hardest part is removing the belt/band on the outside holding the top and bottom parts together. Lifting off the lid is not the easiest for me. I get the older gentleman next door to do those two things for me even though I could actually do both myself if I had to. The rest isn't hard, just time consuming, mostly because I do everything slowly. For me I clean my 580 about every 9 months, and one year it was 1 time. For you and your size pool, you'll be cleaning your 460 several times a year. I just don't see cleaning the 460 taking that much less time to warrant doing it several times more per year. For me, the fewer times, the better. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm not sure what the 'therapy jets' mean (if they're different than my regular spa jets). If they aren't something special, you might want a couple more jets in your 7'x9' spa. I have 8 jets in my 7' round spa and glad I have the eight. I have 2 or 3 sets of 2 jets together which I love. The rest are singles.

You'll love the automation from your phone! Wish I had that!

Take care,
Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.