Ways to lower water temperature?

Jun 23, 2017
Fort Smith
We have had our 16' X 48" intec pool setup now for about two weeks and the temperature us already 90+ degrees in the evenings.... What is the best way to lower that temp without having to replace most of the water?

I know why it's getting so hot, the previous homeowner had a large 24' AGP on a 26' concrete slab, so now there's roughly 10' of concrete on either side just soaking up all that sun and the transferring it to the pool water....

Any ideas???

We have had our 16' X 48" intec pool setup now for about two weeks and the temperature us already 90+ degrees in the evenings.... What is the best way to lower that temp without having to replace most of the water?

I know why it's getting so hot, the previous homeowner had a large 24' AGP on a 26' concrete slab, so now there's roughly 10' of concrete on either side just soaking up all that sun and the transferring it to the pool water....

Any ideas???

Aerate, especially at night
I doubt that the concrete is causing it
Cover when not being used and uncover at night

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm finding a few things on youtube with plans. Seems relatively straight forward if you're comfortable with PVC...and who isn't?!?! My questions are: with all of the evaporation taking place to cool, anyone have experience with water/chemical loss through excessive evaporation? Any concerns about wrecking return plumbing by removing and modifying the outlets/eyeballs? IF it ever decides to stop raining in Georgia our pool gets in the 90's and I'm interested in trying to DIY one of these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lvstuft-dk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v04DcdpLU5Q I like the first one better.

Well I finally got my temps under 90 degrees! In conjunction with mid 90s outside temperature and my homemade fountain I'm at 86 degrees!!!
056f92212687481e8190a024d32b8170.jpg
a1d121ddd9d3cc4d34157d5a0ec00efc.jpg

i decided this past weekend that i would do a test on my pool. i kept my solar cover on all day until we got into the pool at 8pm. i checked the temp when i got up on Saturday morning and the pool temp was 86 degrees. Saturday the temps got up to around 95 here and humidity index was 104. when i took the cover off at 8pm, the pool temp was 94 degrees. i know there are some people that believe that the solar cover does not do much other than help hold temps in over night. i am a believer that the solar covers actually DO help to heat up a pool. needless to say we had to run the fountain all night that night to get the pool temp back down to bearable conditions. letting the fountain run that long i ended up having to put in 16oz of MA to get the pH back down.

i decided this past weekend that i would do a test on my pool. i kept my solar cover on all day until we got into the pool at 8pm. i checked the temp when i got up on Saturday morning and the pool temp was 86 degrees. Saturday the temps got up to around 95 here and humidity index was 104. when i took the cover off at 8pm, the pool temp was 94 degrees. i know there are some people that believe that the solar cover does not do much other than help hold temps in over night. i am a believer that the solar covers actually DO help to heat up a pool. needless to say we had to run the fountain all night that night to get the pool temp back down to bearable conditions. letting the fountain run that long i ended up having to put in 16oz of MA to get the pH back down.
The issue is you can't prove that the cover added more heat, rather than just retaining heat that would have been lost to evaporation during the day.
No way to test in the absense of evaporation.

I am just splitting hairs. Leaving the cover on got your pool hotter. That is true. Was if because it somehow captured more heat from the sun? Or because it reduced the heat lost to evaporation? Likely it does not matter as much as the end result, but I contend it was the 2nd ;)

If you could have stopped the evaporation without the cover (like perhaps with a liquid solar cover if there was 0 wind), perhaps the pool would have heated up just as much as it did with your physical cover on :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.