Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!

For the bubbler depth, I had people tell me that I needed to go 6", but I'd seen builds here that had them at 9" and they were ok. I really wanted more depth, so that's what we went with. I hope it's ok.

I completely misread Darin's question and thought he was referring to what depth do you need a bubbler shelf to be to put chairs on. Now I see he was asking what length is needed for a lounger. Your depth is great, Jamie. I think mine will be about the same in the bubbler area. I just want it deeper for chairs and am trying to work out the depth and length for it.

For the umbrellas, I won't use both at the same time. But I was trying to estimate where I wanted shade during different parts of the day. When standing at the small step entering the pool and facing the shallow leg of the pool, we are facing north. So the sun travels from right to left across the ledge. In the earlier hours I'm hoping that the right sleeve will allow the umbrella to shade the left side of the ledge, and in the afternoon for the left sleeve's umbrella to shade the right. If I had only done one in the middle, I don't think I would have gotten the shade coverage I wanted. Hopefully I'll be right. It's hard to judge these things when the sun is in such a different place I the sky this time of year.

That makes good sense to me. Our tanning ledge faces South, so the sun runs from left to right (east to west), so I know exactly what you are referring it.

It's nice to get a little breather after all ghe excitement leading up to gunite. We keep having overnight freezes so I haven't repressurized the plumbing again yet, and it's supposed to get down to 27 tonight so I think I'm just a going to wait until tomorrow to do it. I hope I don't find any problems.

I had the concrete decking guy out yesterday to go over preliminaries for our deck and that was helpful. The tile/coping/plaster guy is supposed to send someone out Sunday or Monday to measure the actual pool size in order to give us exact pricing on all of those things. Electrical is scheduled for next Thursday, so things are lining up well.

One question I have is how thick does the Minipebble get applied? I mostly want to know to see if the holes for my umbrellas sleeves are deep enough compared to how much of the sleeve is raised above the gunite. Also, can the hole go all the way to the dirt, or is that a leak issue? I had them put a little gunite back in the holes to prevent the dirt from showing, but this may have made the holes too shallow. My sleeves are 7" tall.

Thanks for the insight!

Plaster can be anywhere from 1/2" up to 1-1/2" depending on what you need to accomplish.

Good to know, thanks! Does it matter of the holes for the umbrella sleeves go down to dirt? I'd have to check how high above the gunite the sleeves sit when inserted into the holes, but if I need to make the holes a little deeper to accommodate them, should I avoid exposing dirt?

That's not ideal but your gunite is not waterproof anyway. The plaster contractor will usually apply a waterproofing compound around all of the fittings and penitrations in the pool, that should resolve your issue. The remainder of the hole will get filled with plaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Your reef area where the umbrellas are going is only 6" thick?

That's not ideal but your gunite is not waterproof anyway. The plaster contractor will usually apply a waterproofing compound around all of the fittings and penitrations in the pool, that should resolve your issue. The remainder of the hole will get filled with plaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Your reef area where the umbrellas are going is only 6" thick?

Thank you for explaining that. It sounds like I should be ok either way. I just went out to measure the depth of the hole and it's 7" with an uneven surface of gunite at the bottom (causing the umbrella sleeve not to sit as low in the hole). Based on the depth of the shelf before gunite and it's depth now, I'm pretty sure that shelf area is 8" thick.

looks like you've got everything lined up nicely. We're considering doing an O/B too and your thread has been quite helpful. I've looked at some other DFW O/B to see what subs others have used but sent you a PM as well for any feedback as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
looks like you've got everything lined up nicely. We're considering doing an O/B too and your thread has been quite helpful. I've looked at some other DFW O/B to see what subs others have used but sent you a PM as well for any feedback as well.

Thanks for mentioning your PM Darin. Somehow I had missed it. I just responded.

Hey Jamie,
What's next? Do you have your plaster scheduled? Or is decking next?

I've got my electricians coming out on Thursday. I'm waiting on the tile/coping/plaster guy to measure the pool to give me accurate pricing on all of those things. The first two can then be installed any time, then we can do decking. After that we will regrade the yard around the pool and then put up a fence before plaster at the very end. I'd rather have a fence up before plaster/water to be safe with the kids.

When you get the yard graded, get out two ground stakes (you can use wood or rebar), some nylon line, a line level gauge and a tape measure. Then make sure your decking slopes gently AWAY from the pool. 1/8" to 1/4" drop per foot is considered a gentle enough slope that still "feels" level with no more than 1/2" per foot or else you'll feel it.

The last thing you want is rain water washing your deck and filling your pool dirt, silt and debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.