Waterfall makes me lose almost 2 inches of water overnight

SW Pool Owner

Jun 24, 2022
Long Island, New York
Hi I think my waterfall is the source of my algae problems, so I've been running it more frequently. I noticed water levels dropping when I used it, and after running it all night the water basically dropped an entire screw on the skimmer, so like 1 - 2 inches of water loss overnight!

So clearly I have an issue here, my question is how do I fix this? Is this a job for a plumber or a pool tech, or is this something I can fix myself?

I bought the house with the pool installed so I don't know the original contractor

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 23
Original contractor doesn't matter unless it is under warranty. This is a plumber job but could be expensive finding the leak. At least it appears to be isolated to the plumbing line. Do you have a shutoff valve behind the waterfall? It might be hidden. That could be the leak point.

I schedule my waterfalls (2) for 10 minutes of operation a day to keep the water in the lines fresh.

Original contractor doesn't matter unless it is under warranty. This is a plumber job but could be expensive finding the leak. At least it appears to be isolated to the plumbing line. Do you have a shutoff valve behind the waterfall? It might be hidden. That could be the leak point.

I schedule my waterfalls (2) for 10 minutes of operation a day to keep the water in the lines fresh.
Glad to hear it's working for you to prevent algae, I'll probably just do the same thing. I had an algae infestation after turning on the waterfall overnight after 2 - 3 weeks not using it.

10 minutes a day seems much more cost effective than paying a plumber

Glad to hear it's working for you to prevent algae, I'll probably just do the same thing. I had an algae infestation after turning on the waterfall overnight after 2 - 3 weeks not using it.

10 minutes a day seems much more cost effective than paying a plumber
Unfortunately, waterfall leaks are very common. Builders privately tell each other, "There are only two types of waterfalls. Those that leak and those that are going to leak." The leaks are, generally, hard to pinpoint and harder still to repair. That's why there is a large market for pre-cast/formed falls that can be dropped into place. They are very natural looking now, but pricey.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.