Water was clear until I didn't wait for help with the winter cover

reba627

Bronze Supporter
Aug 6, 2021
Michigan
Just like the title says.....last year I got on the TFP method a little bit into the season, but I followed the directions for closing and when I started to roll away the winter cover (after getting the leaf net off and pulling up as much water as I could so all that was left was quite a bit of sediment and particles so small the net didn't catch them) I was so happy to see crystal clear water waiting for me underneath!

Until I got impatient and didn't wait for a second set of hands and as a result, as much as I thought I had gotten it rolled up in itself enough, a final tug proved to be too much and most, if not all of what was on the top of the cover went straight into the pool.

After I got everything hooked up and running, I went skimming on the bottom with the butterfly net and pulled up enough junk to fill half a 5 gallon Lowes bucket.

Now I'm left with a bunch of fine particles/sand/dirt/who knows at the bottom of the pool, and my Polaris vacuum just stirred it all up, and I've already backwashed 4 times today and as of now I'm just letting the pump and filter run and going out once an hour to check the skimmer basket and filter pressure and backwash as needed. Pool store said to do a double shock tonight and let things keep running, and I've already gotten a crack in the skimmer basket from the skimmer basket socks (and gone through 3 already and that just leads to more backwashing because the pump starts to run dry and filter pressure drops).

But this is going to be my first year doing TFP from start to finish, so would love some advice on where to go from here. I haven't put any chemicals in yet or tested, I want to wait until I get most of the debris out, but I don't want to throw 2 bags of shock in when I haven't tested my CYA yet (or anything).

TL/DR: Accidentally dropped the contents of winter cover in my what was crystal clear water at opening, now there's a bunch of sand/dirt in there and all I'm doing right now is running the filter and backwashing-haven't tested anything yet or added any chemicals so wondering next steps or if I should just SLAM tonight without testing, or test while the water is still dirty and the filter is filtering.

Pics below are
At opening yesterday
At the end of the day yesterday after a few passes with the net
This afternoon after the pump and filter have been running for several hours
IMG_8443.jpeg70692375394__ED7B1BE2-3502-4BED-B84A-60F7008BA541.jpegIMG_8460.jpeg

You have a filtering and cleanup problem. Get CYA/stabilizer and a good amount of liquid chlorine into the pool so you don't add an algae problem to your troubles.

I don't see a filter listed in your signature.

Give your filter time to capture the dirt and run your Polaris and let it capture what it can. The Polaris stirring dirt up helps the filter capture it.

How long do you run your pump daily?

You have a filtering and cleanup problem. Get CYA/stabilizer and a good amount of liquid chlorine into the pool so you don't add an algae problem to your troubles.

I don't see a filter listed in your signature.

Give your filter time to capture the dirt and run your Polaris and let it capture what it can. The Polaris stirring dirt up helps the filter capture it.

How long do you run your pump daily?
I have a sand filter, got the pool installed in 2020.

So should I do an initial test to see where the CYA and chlorine levels are now and add necessary amounts and let the filter run overnight and test again in the morning?

Right now I’m having to backwash every hour or so because the flow virtually stops, and I did brush a bit to stir the bottom stuff up a bit. Good news is I can see the bottom of the pool now.

Currently planning on running it 8 hours daily from 7am-3pm and then 9pm-12am (trying to avoid peak hours)

You want to mix the water good, a few hours at least if not a day or so, before making changes and additions. Water stratifies while the pool is closed.

So should I do an initial test to see where the CYA and chlorine levels are now and add necessary amounts and let the filter run overnight and test again in the morning?

Yes, test and add chemicals and stay on top of your FC level.

Right now I’m having to backwash every hour or so because the flow virtually stops, and I did brush a bit to stir the bottom stuff up a bit. Good news is I can see the bottom of the pool now.

That shows your filter is catching stuff. The more you run your pump and keep your filter clean the quicker things will clear up.

Currently planning on running it 8 hours daily from 7am-3pm and then 9pm-12am (trying to avoid peak hours)

I suspect it will take a few days for your filter to do its work.

You may want to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if algae is part of the problem clogging your filter.

Thank you! I tested everything last night before adding anything, attaching photo of results. Used the SLAM calculator and added 1 gallon and 3 cups liquid chlorine. Pool was noticeably less green this morning, filter still running a little on the weak side after it’s been going for a bit. Tried vacuuming a little but didn’t have an extra set of hands so couldn’t vacuum to waste. Trying a skimmer sock again to see if I can get some of the smaller particles, but I guess I just need to be patient. I stopped at Leslie’s since they were the only ones open to pick up a couple of things and he said to add an algaecide because “you have live algae, but you can pour this in now and in 2 hours add liquid chlorine”. Can I add that during the day? Or do I need to wait until the sun goes down so it doesn’t burn off? Or is that more for the granular bags of shock?

So much for enjoying my time off this weekend in the pool! 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_8473.png
    IMG_8473.png
    424.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8474.jpeg
    IMG_8474.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: vacabon
DO NOT USE ALGECIDES!

Especially ones where you do not know the ingredients.

All you need for algae is the SLAM Process using liquid chlorine.

Do not get sucked into Leslies magic potions that fix all pool problems. They just lighten your wallet.

As you get near the end of the process I find that a Slime Bag helps with the final clearing.

I have done the same thing you have a number of times. Now I make sure my cover has no water on it before removing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.