Water Under Top Step. What is the best way to fix and prevent?

Nov 28, 2018
Michigan
Hi everyone,

Last time we got really heavy rains over a few days, I noticed that there was a bulge of water under my liner at the top step at both ends. I ended up pulling the liner out of it's track about 12", stuck a tiny hose all the way down to the 2nd step, and pulled water out until the water under the liner went down. The liner settled fine and I was able to put the track back into place. I have a few questions

1) Was this ground water that just went to the path of least resistance and found its way to the top step? When the pool is full the top step is only covered a with a few inches of water. Or did rain find its way behind my liner from the top?

2) Is it safe to remove the water the way I did or is there a better way?

3) Is this common after heavy rains? It has only happened once that I notice. Should I be worried about this and look for a permanent prevention solution?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210919_212830.jpg
    20210919_212830.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 18
1) Was this ground water that just went to the path of least resistance and found its way to the top step? When the pool is full the top step is only covered a with a few inches of water. Or did rain find its way behind my liner from the top?

Impossible for us to tell you how your pool area drains from rains. With the gravel next to a small concrete area I would not be suprised if water is draining under the concrete and by your step.

2) Is it safe to remove the water the way I did or is there a better way?

Let's ask @jimmythegreek

3) Is this common after heavy rains? It has only happened once that I notice. Should I be worried about this and look for a permanent prevention solution?

Every pool is different. All that matters is it is happening to you.

With high ground water the deepest point will usually float the liner. In this case I'd say water is actually getting in behind your deck and finding a path to the stairs. Proper perimeter drainage should help relieve the issue. Make sure anyone doing drainage guarantees their work. Amy knucklehead can bury some corrugated pipe and claim all is fixed. Takes experience to actually resolve water issues

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.