Water under liner

willy17

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2017
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi TFP,

New question now.

I stupidly left my sheer descent waterfall on today not adjusted - meaning not enough water to it. Lots of water ran down the face, and I did notice it in the track that holds liner. Got in pool for first swim in just under a week and I noticed water under liner now.

Could the waterfall be the culprit?
Nobody has been in pool since last week. It’s not losing noticeable water (I do lose to evaporation at a higher rate, consistent with a similar pool near by). It’s not a ton but water is definitely there where floor meets wall and maybe possibly more around waterfall area.

Any thoughts or things I should do right away would be appreciated, thanks.

Hey Greg! :wave: Could water have slipped into the track and down the liner? .... I suppose it's possible, althogh honestly I'm not sure. Might depend on your pool set-up around that railing. But if it did, there's not much you can do that I know if. How much bulging are we talking about? Can you provide an idea (i.e. few inches, one sqaure foot area, etc)? If it's just a small amount, it may get re-absorbed by the base/soil underneath and hopefully not be enough to disrupt the base itself. If the area worsens, then it may not have been the spillway issue at all and could be ground water. Hopefully not, but something to monitor at this point I suppose.

Hey Greg! :wave: Could water have slipped into the track and down the liner? .... I suppose it's possible, althogh honestly I'm not sure. Might depend on your pool set-up around that railing. But if it did, there's not much you can do that I know if. How much bulging are we talking about? Can you provide an idea (i.e. few inches, one sqaure foot area, etc)? If it's just a small amount, it may get re-absorbed by the base/soil underneath and hopefully not be enough to disrupt the base itself. If the area worsens, then it may not have been the spillway issue at all and could be ground water. Hopefully not, but something to monitor at this point I suppose.

Thanks Texas Splash,
The edges of where the wall meet the floor were bubbled out maybe a few inches I guess. You could definitely feel it walking around the pool.

I ended up pulling some liner out of track and investigating. There was a decent amount of water back there. I picked up a pump this morning and sucked it out. I’m hoping and do think it came from the waterfall - let’s hope anyways.
I put 2 very smooth broom handles down and a garden hose with cut end (no metal coupling) in between them down to where floor and wall meet. There was another thread about floating liner that gave me the idea and it seemed to work.
I then dragged foot around edge of wall/floor to encourage water around the outside to get to that end. I’m leaving the liner out of track this morning to ensure we don’t end up with more water back there. If we do, I’ll look into some leak detection but really really hope that’s not the case! There is surely a bit back along the seam still but I’m hoping that tiny bit seeps back out as you suggest.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Has anyone pumped out water from behind liner? I just went back and there was water back again - not much but some. I’m hoping this has just migrated to the area since there’s an opening/less pressure on the area. I’ll repeat the pumping process throughout today and see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.