Water turning blue when adding soda.

May 20, 2017
Valparaiso NE USA
Friday I wa called to help on a relative's pool that was way out of whack. Pool is about 27k gal ig vinyl with sand filter. Located in Nebraska. Had complaints of water burning eyes and someone got some kind of rash. I guess the doc said rash was from bacteria in the pool. Took my tf100 and started troubleshooting.

Water was perfectly clear but I knew the chlorine usage was all granular or pucks. No consistent testing of the pool either. Water probably hasn't been tested in a couple years. Just keeping pucks in skimmer and floater and dumping in a bag of dichlor after usage.Grabbed a sample of water and dipped my ph tester in. It read 1.3. No way not possible. I didn't have my ph drop test because I don't normally use it. Grabbed some test strips because I didn't believe the ph.
20200717_130006.jpg
Ph pad turned bright yellow. No hint of red at all. Right strip is pool left is tap water.

Cya was way high. Did 50% diluted test and still over 100. So cya is 200 plus. FC was 0.5 so add 2 gall of 12.5 bleach while refilling.

Got about 9000 gallons water replaced with drain and refill. Couldn't convince owner to swap more water.

Started dumping in alka plus. Cheapest form of sodium carbonate I could find. Water starts turning blue. I wish I would have taken pictures. Could this be metals? I guess it now has "gray dust" settling on the bottom. I will looking at it and testing the water again tomorrow.

Cya is still way too high. Don't think I'm going to be able to convince further water replacement this summer. Plans in place to do so as part of the winterization and spring opening process.

Tested water on Saturday after the overnight refill. Ph still testing in the upper 5's. Added more soda.

FC was 1.5 dumped In two more gallons of 12.5 bleach. Told owner to put in 2 more gallons sunday

I will test again monday. I think this is going to turn into a swamp without dumping in 5 to 7 gallons of bleach daily with the high cya level. And just puzzled about the blue color change and the sediment.

There is an abandoned heater onsite that was disconnected a year or 2 ago because it started leaking. I'm guessing the ph had been low for a long time.

Is it possible there hasn't been any algae troubles the last year or so because of the low ph? Pickle juice won't grow algae or bacteria. That's about where this was at ph wise. Also think the rash may have been more of a chemical burn than a rash.

Loving my TFP pool!

OMG! The liner must be completely faded by now. Poor heater was just eaten away by PH. Keep pushing the owner to take control and buy his own test kit.
Good luck!
Lol. It's almost white. Nearly 10 years old liner. I'll probably just get tasked with the testing until its dialed in. Then have to stop in weekly to check on it. Hopefully I can talk him into swg.

I need to switch to swg as well. Just a big chunk of money.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
The tap water strip had been sitting several minutes longer than the pool strip. It was lighter on the cya pad when I first dipped it. The strips were only used to make sure my ph meter wasn't completely on the fritz. It was reading lower than drop test when I compared it to my pool sunday so it has since been adjusted.

There is no way I would chase that pool water. It CAN be made acceptable again but I'll bet it is cheaper to dump all 27k and start over. Check out the water rates and you can figure an exact cost.

Even refilling the entire pool will not fix the problem.......your relative is the problem. Even if you give him a sparkling clear pool, he is clueless (and apparently skeptical) about trying to keep it that way.

I think your best path is to guide him to this forum and see if he is interested in pool maintenance. If not, your really best path is to walk away.

No good deed goes unpunished.

• Haha
Reactions: Flying Tivo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.