Water truck filled last night now raining NOW WHAT!

Julie46128

Jun 16, 2019
Indiana
Good Day! Above found pool 16x28 oval was filled with water last night finally at 9:30 pm. Now it’s raining and rain off and all all day and week. I have a Taylor K2005 test kit. WHAT NOW! Do I test and balance while it’s raining do I try to add anything while it’s raining? I want to move fast to get this water correct but really don’t know what to do since it’s raining. My first pool and don’t want to mess this expensive water up ! I have not tested water yet , waiting for advice

Bring the water in by your sink and test there so you don’t get wet. CYA test may be difficult in low light but unless the water they trucked in had some in to start, level is probably 0 and lighting shouldn’t affect the test.

Is your pump hooked up and operational? If its not you have some brushing to do.

Assume CYA is zero and add the proper amount to get your pool to 30ppm (about 4lbs of granules). Trucked in water is never going to have CYA in it.
Add chlorine to the pool and use the 30ppm CYA target value for FC.

Check for pH, its probably low. Adding baking soda will raise the pH and your TA. Washing soda will raise pH without much raise in TA. Adjust pH slowly only adding about half the required amount of chemical at a time and re-check the pH about an hour later.

All this can be done with it raining outside, although you may want to test indoors just to make it more comfortable.

Hello and Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool. Exciting times ahead.

New fill water will have zero CYA in it. We recommend adding enough CYA to a sock (regular old sock with no holes) and hanging it in front of the return. Be careful not to let it touch the wall or liner since it can cause a stain. You can also place it in the skimmer basket if it doesn’t block the flow.
Check pH and adjust as necessary with washing soda or muriatic acid.
Add enough liquid chlorine to get to 5ppm. Then follow the FC/CYA Levels.
Add all chemicals in front of the return with the pump running. Run pump 24/7 until the CYA is dissolved.

If you will post a set of test results and fill out your signature there are lot's of people here we would like to help. Click on your user name and add your pool details to your signature. That helps us offer the correct advice.

Holy cow! I can not believe all the great answers I am receiving so fast! What a helpful and great forum! I really appreciate it ! Okay my test is not great. I have of course zero cya and chlorine.
My Alk is 300
My ph 8.0
Hardness 240
I used the calculator in the app and it said if I add Dichlor it will lower my PH to needed level
I was thinking about adding Diclor just to get CYA and chlorine in the pool fast. And then of course switching to bleach. What are your thoughts on that. Pump is running good and has been since last night. Water is clear but there is a little debris and a few leaves from the trees. I can not vacuum until rain slows down a little. Also should I put any stain block or alga fighter in the pool at all.

Reactions: Shirker
Stain blockers and algaecide are not really necessary. Diclor will work as long as you know exactly what you are doing to the CYA level. Pucks will take some time to dissolve if you are using that so stabilizer is faster to add CYA. After that switch to bleach. Just make sure you really know how much CYA you are adding with the Diclor. Not everybody does so stabilizer is safer so to speak.

Hello and Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool. Exciting times ahead.

New fill water will have zero CYA in it. We recommend adding enough CYA to a sock (regular old sock with no holes) and hanging it in front of the return. Be careful not to let it touch the wall or liner since it can cause a stain. You can also place it in the skimmer basket if it doesn’t block the flow.
Check pH and adjust as necessary with washing soda or muriatic acid.
Add enough liquid chlorine to get to 5ppm. Then follow the FC/CYA Levels.
Add all chemicals in front of the return with the pump running. Run pump 24/7 until the CYA is dissolved.
Holy cow! I can not believe all the great answers I am receiving so fast! What a helpful and great forum! I really appreciate it ! Okay my test is not great. I have of course zero cya and chlorine.
My Alk is 300
My ph 8.0
Hardness 240
I used the calculator in the app and it said if I add Dichlor it will lower my PH to needed level
I was thinking about adding Diclor just to get CYA and chlorine in the pool fast. And then of course switching to bleach. What are your thoughts on that. Pump is running good and has been since last night. Water is clear but there is a little debris and a few leaves from the trees. I can not vacuum until rain slows down a little. Also should I put any stain block or alga fighter in the pool at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some acid will bring the pH down, your pool is going to be slow to change in pH with a TA that high.

As was mention dichlor will take a long to time to dissolve and add CYA to the water. I would just use regular CYA and liquid chlorine to add what you need.

4lbs of CYA is only about 12 bucks and 1 gallon of 12% is only about 4 bucks. Thats way cheaper and faster working than buying dichlor.

No need to add anything to else to the pool.

Do the acid first, pour in slowly at a return with pump running. Wait 30 mins, still running the pump, then you can add the bleach the same way.

CYA is best put in an old nylon or sock and hung in front of a return jet to let dissolve. Squeezing it occasionally will help it dissolve faster too.

Edit: sorry, missed that the stabilizer was liquid. Can just pour that in the same way as the other liquids. Don’t know if it will react with anything so I’d give it 30 mins apart from the other ones. Order doesn’t matter a ton.

Once you have everything in the pool, and it is well mixed (30 minutes or so) test your PH and TA again. For big changes I usually add the acid in two doses so you don't over correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.