noodleheads

Jul 12, 2020
Indianapolis, IN
First, I want to say that we are first time pool owners of a 10k gallon, vinyl, filter cartridge using, chlorine eating, in ground pool, which came with our home purchase last fall.
I've added what I know in the about me portion. If I didn't do something correctly just let me know. Based upon what I am learning I am starting to move away from the pool store products which are costing WAY more than I expected.

We've been battling white water mold for a few weeks. Water is clear now, but I am brushing and vacuuming everything at least weekly. The pool is mostly used on the weekends and the water is amazingly clear.

Below are my most recent numbers from what I believe is a Taylor K-2006 (relabeled as Leslie's). We stopped using the 3" chlorine tabs yesterday. We also added about 48 oz of Borax (all I had left) to try and help the PH come up a bit.

I have purchased the Ahh-Some product (to kill the bio-contaminants in the plumbing), will be picking up more liquid chlorine and Borax tomorrow, and have new filters that can be installed. What I don't know is the order in which to proceed.

Do I add more Borax to continue to work at raising the PH? Do I SLAM to get CC up? Do I remove/replace water to lower CYA? Do I add the Ahh-some to kill the white water mold? Do I put the new filters in and soak the ones that are in there now?

If I have left anything out or if there are questions please let me know.

I truly appreciate and thank you in advance for the direction.

Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 10000 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 5.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 6.8
TA: 80
CH: 350
CYA: 110

Welcome to TFP.

We do not recommend you use the Frog system and mineral cartridge. The minerals accumulate in your pool and eventually cause staining. You should remove the mineral cartridge ASAP.

Best way to raise pH is by aeration. You don't need Borax. Aeration - Further Reading

First thing you should do is drain 2/3 of your pool to get your CYA down to 30-40. No point in wasting time and money balancing water you are going to dump.

We don't recommend draining liner pools. You can use the No Drain Water Exchange Process to change your water.

Once you get new water with CYA of 30-40 then post the test results and we will figure out next steps. The drain will likely fix other water chemistry problems you have.

What is the source and pH and TA of your fill water?

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: Mdragger88
The theme I am reading here is get the CYA down first. I won't be able to work on that until next week. I will also remove the mineral cartridge.

Since I'm going to be draining and refilling next week, should I continue using the 3" chlorine tabs until this process begins or continue to add liquid chlorine daily?

I will test the fill water tonight and will report it's PH and TA.

I can't even remember where I read about ahh-some, but wherever it was several people had used it and claimed it would kill any of the white water mold that could be lurking in the pipes. As far as how much, I believe the packaging has the "dosage". I haven't looked any closer at it because I'm not at the point of trying to use it.
What we are seeing though grows along the plastic that surrounds the steps, as well as the plastic edges of the skimmer inlet and jets. It looks white, and kind of puffy when attached to the plastic, and is very slimy. If any of it ends up floating in the pool it looks like pieces of toilet paper. We used a tooth brush and got it out of all of the crevices we could reach and I've been brushing the pool more often to try and stay ahead of its growth.

I truly appreciate the suggestions.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.