Water transfer pump for a solar mat? Need some ideas to make this work.

summertimesadness

Gold Supporter
Aug 23, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I received a free solar mat from a friend;

(Not exact, but looks like that)

It has a 1.5 inch input and output. I don't want to redo my pool plumping to snake it through there. I have access to a 120v outlet however.

Thoughts?

How many square feet of paneling did you get? Where are you putting it? For this you need to have a pump that is rated for the head (distance straight up) that you need to push water. Also usually solar heat systems come with some electronic piece as the water in the panel can get very hot and you risk burning someone if it is not cycled properly.

How many square feet of paneling did you get? Where are you putting it? For this you need to have a pump that is rated for the head (distance straight up) that you need to push water. Also usually solar heat systems come with some electronic piece as the water in the panel can get very hot and you risk burning someone if it is not cycled properly.
I'll take a picture and post in a bit.

It's not a panel fyi, its a rubber mat. It's gonna go on the back side of the pool where the sun direct hits for a good 6 to 8 hrs a day.

If you have a clue on what flow rate and head pressure you might be able to use a submersible pond pump. i'm guessing you would like it to run as long as possible. Sump pump may also be an option, not sure how inexpensive one will hold up to extended use.

The flow rate doesn't need to so slow that water comes out scorching, the opposite is actually more efficient (higher flow and a small temp increase). Any flow rate that doesn't return scorching water should be fine.

If you have a clue on what flow rate and head pressure you might be able to use a submersible pond pump. i'm guessing you would like it to run as long as possible. Sump pump may also be an option, not sure how inexpensive one will hold up to extended use.

The flow rate doesn't need to so slow that water comes out scorching, the opposite is actually more efficient (higher flow and a small temp increase). Any flow rate that doesn't return scorching water should be fine.

I am somewhat understanding of flow rate / head pressure... how to put it all together is another matter.

Finding a pump is the difficult. I thought of using this one;

https://www.amazon.com/Submersible-...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=APFT1YY606DS4

I was thinking of using a garden house? However, even though the pressure would be higher, I am not sure if the volume will be enough to push it through?