water table and pool types

rob42

May 7, 2018
Bowie, MD
There are some old threads on this subject, but as directed by the site, i am starting a "fresh" one.

I am a total newbie. We will be taking possession of a house tomorrow. An in-ground pool is a nice bonus (or I hope so). I just saw the pool de-winterized yesterday for the first time. It is a 32' x 16' with a vinyl liner. The deepest plunge area is reported as 7'. There is no diving board.

The sellers told me a horror story about a pool across the street that was not vinyl (not sure what type). Due to a rise in the water table, it popped out of the ground and cracked in half. It is now a garden apparently. They recommended staying with vinyl as a sort of insurance against this kind of disaster. They also offered that, when installing a new liner, to wait for the "dry season", as the bottom of the pool pit can get "soupy".

I see no evidence that the pool bottom is in any way mis-shapen, as if water from underneath had intruded and shifted, or anything like this.

I think my approach is just "status quo" until I have an actual problem. I don't know what the cost would be to sink a sump pump beside the pool or anything like that, to solve a problem that I may not have.

When the liner needs replacing, perhaps I can re-profile the pool to max 5' deep -- I just want to swim laps for the most part, anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks!

When I actually get into the house, I will do some discovery and set up my sig line.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The only way for a pool to pop out of the ground is if it was heavily drained or empty ... thus our recommendations to never fully drain a pool unless you know ground water is a non-issue.

As long as you keep your pool full, the liner should stay in place and no ground water can get behind the liner.

You do raise a good point, that many people with similar concerns add a "well" near the pool with a submersible pump to remove the ground water nearby if there was a need to drain the pool.

Make sure you order up one of the Recommended Test Kits so you have it when you take possession and we can immediately help you get the water in shape :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.