Water stinks

mevrowka

Aug 8, 2021
East Tennessee
We had a testing issue that resulted in artificially high FC readings. As a result, we put in too little chlorine for several days - probably a week or two. The water had been cloudy and eventually started stinking. We were scratching our heads as to why and then realized what we were doing wrong to get unreliable FC readings.

Since then, we've brought the chlorine up to 10 ppm a couple of times. The FC was low again today when we tested (0.5) so we brought it to 6 ppm. Chemistry when we got in:
FC 6
TA 60
pH 7.5
CH 250
CYA 25

The water looks great now but....... once we got in we could still faintly smell that stink! So, we are wondering whether we can correct this problem or whether its best to drain the tub and start over. We tested for CC when we realized we had a problem - they were 1.5. Can we or should we try to SLAM the tub? Or maybe its best to put some Ah-some in and clean/refill? Or something else? This fill is about 3 weeks old so the water is fairly new.

Slamming is an option- depending on the time u have. Keep the cover off as much as possible to allow cc’s to escape & let the sunlight in if its outdoors. Even so you may still end up draining.
If it were me I’d bring it to slam level & do an Ahhsome purge (or 2) then drain & refill. The time spent will probably be less & you will have peace of mind that there are no lingering nasties. Especially since its not the middle of winter or something & it won’t take long to heat back up . A week or two of low/no fc can breed some nasty stuff.
Chock it up to a Lesson learned.

Slamming is an option- depending on the time u have. Keep the cover off as much as possible to allow cc’s to escape & let the sunlight in if its outdoors. Even so you may still end up draining.
If it were me I’d bring it to slam level & do an Ahhsome purge (or 2) then drain & refill. The time spent will probably be less & you will have peace of mind that there are no lingering nasties. Especially since its not the middle of winter or something & it won’t take long to heat back up . A week or two of low/no fc can breed some nasty stuff.
Chock it up to a Lesson learned.
Thanks for your advice. We will see what option works.

I’ve tried SLAMing a hot tub when I let things get out of wack by ignoring it for some days after a heavy use once (last time I did that!). It’s not worth the effort. It’s a just a few hundred gallons of water, so a drain and refill is much easier, even with new water re-balance. IMO SLAMing is best saved for pools that cannot be drained, or cannot be easily drained.

As stated above an Ahh-Some purge is always good before a drain and refill.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.