Water spiiting out of aerator on pump start

Dec 17, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just lubed and replaced the top o ring on the backwash plunger. I have a hayward de system. I also found the collar on the suction side of the pump loose and hand tightened it. Before all this I had cavitation in the strainer basket and it would not prime totally.

Now when the pump starts in the morning water spits from the aerator port. Could the backwash valve be cockeyed? Also, my pressure valve stopped working and the tank has not been disassembled for one year. Could it be a pressure issue? I do backwash and keep the pool up 365 days.

Thanks

Any chance you can fill out your signature so members know what equipment you have?

A pressure gauge on your filter is a necessary item to troubleshoot any issues with the circulating system. I would suggest you get a new pressure gauge (possibly an entire bleed assembly for the filter) and clean the filter, not just backwash. Then you will have a baseline clean filter pressure.

I watched my pool start up this morning and water isn't coming from the aerator. Air bubbles, really big vigorous ones,, are coming from the outputs. The pool is still primed. Can air be leaking in from the bad pressure gauge? Also, the thing on top has never been removed and had the o rings lubed. Could that be leaking? It isn't cracked and there are no signs of water running down the top of the tank.

Air doesn't get drawn in at the pressure gauge but it will get expelled if you open it some. You need to bleed off the air using the pressure gauge and let out enough till you have an uninterrupted water stream without air mixed in.

S,

When you shut the pump off, the water in the pump basket should NOT flow back into the pool. I suspect in your case it does. This can be caused by a leaking filter air relief valve on top of the filter.

It can be just because the valve is dirty inside.

DE filters need to be opened and cleaned at least once a year. Backwashing only removes about 80% of the old DE, the more often you backwash the less and less DE it removes.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Swipter
S,

On the output, or pressure side, of the pump, if you have an air leak, you will also have a water leak when the pump is on.. The only exception that that rule is the filter air relief valve. So, if your backwash valve was letting air leak in, when the pump is off, it should also leak water under pressure when the pump was on.

Do you have any pressure side water leaks??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
S,

On the output, or pressure side, of the pump, if you have an air leak, you will also have a water leak when the pump is on.. The only exception that that rule is the filter air relief valve. So, if your backwash valve was letting air leak in, when the pump is off, it should also leak water under pressure when the pump was on.

Do you have any pressure side water leaks??

Thanks,

Jim R.
No, I have no water leaks anywhere and I'm holding prime when it's not running. Before, I could not get it to prime so tightened by hand the suction side collar that goes to the pump. It was loose. It primed after thar.

I am going to update my air relief on the tank.

Thank you so much.

S,

If the water in your pump is not flowing back into your pool, when the pump is off, then there is most likely nothing wrong with your filter air relief valve. Just make sure to clean the air relief valve when you clean the filter.

I suggest that you open the filter, clean everything.. Have you ever disassembled the grids before? I ask because the first time I did it, I had a difficult time getting it back together. Took an hour and I almost cried.. Now it is about a 5 minute job.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Swipter
S,

If the water in your pump is not flowing back into your pool, when the pump is off, then there is most likely nothing wrong with your filter air relief valve. Just make sure to clean the air relief valve when you clean the filter.

I suggest that you open the filter, clean everything.. Have you ever disassembled the grids before? I ask because the first time I did it, I had a difficult time getting it back together. Took an hour and I almost cried.. Now it is about a 5 minute job.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have cleaned the filter but not disassembled the grids. I spray all around in-between underneath and get everything I can. It should be a good 95%, at least. I did watch a video and it looks easy so it is easy?

I cleaned the pump today. I found no o ring on manifold tube. That was apparent when I released pressure and DE backfload in the pool.

I lubed the air valve o ring. I could not find an air valve to replace it. I have an o ring set for the air valve assembly on the way so I didn't mess with that. I will when it gets here.

I put the new pressure gauge on and the pressure at 2850 was 17 pounds. My old pump was 20 to 25 at full speed, 3450, when it needed to be changed. It went down to 12 pounds after I cleaned it.

Now the wait and the run to get all that DE out that backfload in.

I bought the air relief assembly th8d morning. It's leaking from the valve so I am replacing the whole thing. On another note, my pool is looking fantastic after the cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.