Water seeping from under Hayward S200 sand filter when running - ideas for a fix?

AaronInMN

Jun 10, 2019
Minnesota
I fear the worst. When the pump is off the concrete pad will dry out, but about 5-10 minutes after pump start-up water starts to seep and ooze out from under the sand filter (not gushing or pouring, just a slow steady seep). Ran my hand and paper towel all around the side of the filter to check if water is running down the side from higher up or the multiport valve - but nothing. It really seems like water is leaking out the bottom (out from under a stand for the filter, so I can't see anything). What could it be? My guess is a crack some how from a hard MN winter (I winterized the pool myself this year for the 5th or 6th time - had the filter drain plug out and the air relief valve loosened to allow water escape the filter - perhaps not all of the water came out?). Any thoughts on what to do/try?

Our local pool store repair tech said he thinks the best thing to do is just replace the whole thing for $1,400 (the filter itself is about 4 years old). I'm not sure we're interested in that in fact we're considering removing the pool within a couple of years. One idea I had is to shut the system down, drain the water from filter, remove the sand, and hope to find something on the inside that I can fill with epoxy... any advice on whether such a DIY adventure would be worth it or other better ideas?

There's no possibility the leak is coming from the drain? The tank can swell and deform a bit under pressure and if the gasket is hard it might allow seepage.

If the tank is cracked, it's a throwaway. That's a pressure vessel. You don't fix it.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. I just went out and checked the drain plug - managed to turn it a bit - maybe an eighth/quarter turn? We'll see if that miraculously fixes it. I checked around the drain pipe/plug and didn't feel moisture - but maybe...

The filter manual parts diagram shows another o-ring where the drain pipe and filter case bottom connect - any idea if that could be an issue and if so how I'd go about checking?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.