Water Loss

They said they would pay for it if is indeed something they find regarding the install of the liner.
Ok. Well, someone is going to have to pay them upfront since they don’t work for free. They are not cheap either … standard pool leak detection service around here starts at $400 for the basic equipment. If they have to dive in the pool or use gas detection it goes way up.

Not sure what to say other than to bring in the pros and let them determine the leak’s location. If it’s stopping right at the top of the light then I’m guessing when they did the liner installation someone screwed up the seal around the light fixture. Either that or there is a tear in the liner. Either way, it’s going to be difficult to locate just by looking at it.
I’m being told we will also have to fill the pool all the way back up for them. Just from what I have seen so far I’m betting they find something regarding the install of this liner or the liner has a tear. In that case we want a different liner.

I’m being told we will also have to fill the pool all the way back up for them. Just from what I have seen so far I’m betting they find something regarding the install of this liner or the liner has a tear. In that case we want a different liner.

Yeah. They will need to check every aspect of the pool - skimmer box, returns, light, main drain. They can, and should, check the plumbing lines as well.

My bet is that the liner was not cut properly around the light niche and there’s a leak at the seal. It should get replaced but you’ll be waiting a while for a new liner unfortunately.

Reactions: Jcsmith9
Yeah. They will need to check every aspect of the pool - skimmer box, returns, light, main drain. They can, and should, check the plumbing lines as well.

My bet is that the liner was not cut properly around the light niche and there’s a leak at the seal. It should get replaced but you’ll be waiting a while for a new liner unfortunately.
What do you mean by not being cut properly around the light niche?

Hang on if there is a leak at the seal are you saying they should replace the entire liner?

Perhaps take a look at this online article about how lights are installed in vinyl pools -

There’s a section towards the bottom that explains how and when you cut into the liner to secure the liner to the light niche.

Perhaps take a look at this online article about how lights are installed in vinyl pools -

There’s a section towards the bottom that explains how and when you cut into the liner to secure the liner to the light niche.
Thanks. Now I do remember when he cut an X into the light hole he ended up making the cut before the water got to that point. According to this article that is wrong.

Now plans have changed. ALD is not coming and they have some other company coming to do the leak detection test. Water level is stopped about halfway at the light and I haven’t seen it drop in about 5 hours. Assuming they are using somebody they know now to do the leak detection. Any suggestions or what to look out for or ask while they are here?

I would take pictures of what you have right now. Then, whenever this company comes out to do leak detection, make sure you get their business information. Tell them exactly what has happened and ask them to do leak detection on the skimmer, returns, light fixture and main drain. You can certainly tell them to focus on the light area and to show you what they are doing.

I know it's really annoying to have to do this but you need to sit on these guys and watch everything they do and take pictures as well. My gut feeling is that something go screwed up at the light fixture with the liner installation as the leak stops there and you have said that the light fixture bulges out on one side or something like that. Take pictures of that area specifically (you can post some here if you want). You have to understand that whoever did the liner install is potentially on the hook for a brand new liner (thousands of dollars, I presume) and if they screwed it up it's going to come out of their pockets which means this one job will have cost them tons of money (all loss no profit). Reputable companies would have business insurance to cover against these types of losses; fly-by-night operations and small shop companies often skimp on insurance or don't carry any at all and take a gamble. The last thing they want is to have a screwed up liner pinned to them. So you have to be vigilant and get all the facts so that if it is their fault, you can confidently demand that they make it right.

I appreciate the input and will gladly follow it. Here are a few pics I got of the light today.

Attachments

• 6E42EAEF-8D88-4D34-90DC-CBA9BBCE2E61.jpeg
    6E42EAEF-8D88-4D34-90DC-CBA9BBCE2E61.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 811A6935-C46A-4D40-8120-7656D0DC2DAE.jpeg
    811A6935-C46A-4D40-8120-7656D0DC2DAE.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 14
  • AC43E992-9603-40FE-8BF5-3D76BF3E8279.jpeg
    AC43E992-9603-40FE-8BF5-3D76BF3E8279.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would take pictures of what you have right now. Then, whenever this company comes out to do leak detection, make sure you get their business information. Tell them exactly what has happened and ask them to do leak detection on the skimmer, returns, light fixture and main drain. You can certainly tell them to focus on the light area and to show you what they are doing.

I know it's really annoying to have to do this but you need to sit on these guys and watch everything they do and take pictures as well. My gut feeling is that something go screwed up at the light fixture with the liner installation as the leak stops there and you have said that the light fixture bulges out on one side or something like that. Take pictures of that area specifically (you can post some here if you want). You have to understand that whoever did the liner install is potentially on the hook for a brand new liner (thousands of dollars, I presume) and if they screwed it up it's going to come out of their pockets which means this one job will have cost them tons of money (all loss no profit). Reputable companies would have business insurance to cover against these types of losses; fly-by-night operations and small shop companies often skimp on insurance or don't carry any at all and take a gamble. The last thing they want is to have a screwed up liner pinned to them. So you have to be vigilant and get all the facts so that if it is their fault, you can confidently demand that they make it right.
Just wanted to give you an update. Diver came out Friday and didn’t even have to dive. He stood there and said I guarantee you the leak is coming from the steps and sure enough it was. He held a microscope up to where the tear was and it was very large. Told us we will need a new liner. Touched base with the company and we will be getting a new liner!

Hi everyone. I wanted to share that the Pool company came back out a couple weeks ago to try and have the light fixed to have flush flat against the wall which is what it looked like before the liner was installed. Never any problems before. First they couldn’t get it flush so it still not even and hanging out the wall. They basically told me the person who built the pool did the light incorrectly anyway and that the best option to have this problem fixed is to sell us an LED spa electrics brand light for $800 and would install and only charge us for the cost of the light. Problem here with this decision is I have a light that works and I really did not want to come out another $800. Thoughts from anyone? I have attached pics of what it was before the liner install and what it is now after the liner replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.