Water Loss

AdamS

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2015
New Milford, New Jersey
Hi Evereyone,

Is it normal if I am heating the pool and then having cool nights in NJ to have to add water often?

This has been ongoing for me, but I am definitely losing water overnight at higher amounts; we have been heating water to about 80 and some nights have dipped to the high 50's but I am not sure, maybe a combination with a leak. Just curious if others who heat the pool are seeing water losses?

Thanks!

Yes. Without a cover your water and your wallet are evaporating like crazy. When I first got my pool and ran the heater without a cover, it was fall with similar temperature differences. The steam filled my acre so thick it looked like a house fire. Those were my dollars floating around the yard. A 30 degree difference equates to lots of evaporation which is where 70% of heat loss occurs. You then have to pay for more heat and more water, although the water cost is minimal for some areas.

I am also in NJ and also use the heater and have the same issue. I will lose a few inches a week.
Thanks!! I guess its great to hear from others locally with same issue, I need to put hose in couple times a week and sometimes make myself crazy, thinking its leak etc.
I also have tried bucket testing but not sure of its actual validity because the pool surface bigger, thanks everyone!

Reactions: jgofnj
The bucket test is a valid test. Water surface area is irrelevant.
We were losing about 1/2" per day from evaporation at the beginning of the season but that has slowed considerably since then. I believe the reason is less air/water temp differential now than in the cool early season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.