water loss

bharkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
Lumberton NC
So how much loss due to evaporation is normal? I have a 27' round and I'm having to add water about three times a week. There aren't any areas of grass that look "extra green" or anything, no puddles or wet spots around the pool that make me think I have a leak, so I'm guessing it's just evaporating. How can I decrease this??

How much water are you adding a week? Evap rates can vary widely. It depends on pool surface area, pool temp, air temp, humidity, wind, sunny/cloudy. Dry, windy days with water warmer than air will give the fastest rates. Normal can be around 1/4 - 1/3 inch per day on average. Dry desert
When I was in Columbus Ohio, I lost less than 1/4” a day on average. I covered my pool at night to lessen evaporation.

You can do a "bucket test" where you place a 5 gallon bucket of water, almost full and measure how it compares to water loss in the pool. Both should loose the same amount in theory. Unless you have a lot of splashout in the pool or your dog drinks from the bucket, lol.

Put some masking tape right at water level. wait 24-48 hours and check the levels of both. They should have both dropped by the same amount. If the pool is lower, then you have a leak somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.