Water loss in pool

david0525

Apr 29, 2020
Columbia, TN
Not sure if this is the forum to post this question. If not, please give me some guidance as this is my first time using site. We had a gunite pool installed late last fall. It has a spa and a waterfall as well. The weather in TN has not been bad at all with ranging from 50-72 degrees most days. We are currently experiencing 7-9 inches of water loss every week. When we turn off the waterfall we only have about 2 inches of loss a week. The pool company is telling us that this is normal expected water loss and can get 1.5+ inches a day. Is that accurate? We invested a lot of money into this pool only to have to fill it with water 2+ times a week and it's not even hot or being used currently. Our concern is when it gets to 90-100 degrees and we have 10+ people swimming that we will lose 15+ inches weekly. Thoughts or guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Fill a 5-gallon bucket with water and set it in the sun next to the pool. Measure how much you lose to evaporation from the bucket. The pool should lose no more than the bucket. If your pool is dropping two inches a day and the bucket is dropping only 1/8th, then you know you have a leak somewhere.

I would start by checking your multiport valve to make sure you are not losing water to "waste."

Welcome to the forum!
The 5-7 inches a week sounds excessive. Is the pool heated and uncovered?
The 2 inches a week sounds about right if your pool water temperature is above the overnight air temperature.
I would get the PB to pressure test the line to the waterfall.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
The 5-7 inches a week sounds excessive. Is the pool heated and uncovered?
The 2 inches a week sounds about right if your pool water temperature is above the overnight air temperature.
I would get the PB to pressure test the line to the waterfall.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks so much for your reply! the pool is not heated but uncovered. It has a spill over spa and a waterfall. We only have issues with lots of loss when waterfall is running. We had a leak company come test last week but they are unable to pressure test the lines because of the way the pool company installed them. All greek to me to understand but they ran a light down as far as they could see but couldn't tell because the lines are buried under the ground. I'll read what you sent for ABC's! Thanks again for guidance!

Fill a 5-gallon bucket with water and set it in the sun next to the pool. Measure how much you lose to evaporation from the bucket. The pool should lose no more than the bucket. If your pool is dropping two inches a day and the bucket is dropping only 1/8th, then you know you have a leak somewhere.

I would start by checking your multiport valve to make sure you are not losing water to "waste."
Thanks for info and we will definitely do this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.