water line rising due to rains

Bozer4

Jul 11, 2019
Manteca ca
Hello,
The water level on my pool has been rising due to a series of wet storms in California (see attached pic). Right now water level is approaching the top of the pool tiles. Should I pump out a portion of water to get back to the middle of the tile where normal water level is? Water conservation is always a factor out here but not damaging the pool is top priority.
Thanks, Brett

Attachments

• pool water line.jpg
    pool water line.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
Yes you want your water level to come up half way to your skimmer box face plate. You don't want it higher as your skimmer won't work properly.

You could always siphon the excess water with a hose into a rain barrel or two? Having lived thru a city with strict water restrictions many years ago (like 50 gal per day per person!) we became very adept at re-using bath water to flush the toilets, water plants, etc. No shame in that game if you want to try to save some of the water.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Bozer4
Thanks, I'm also concerned about the water reaching the plastic strip between the tile and the concrete deck. I'm not sure if that's water proof and water could run under the deck and cause problems.

I am guessing you do not have an overflow line. If you are not sure look for some kind of grate just about the middle of the waterline tile. It might be white or metal. If you do not have one you do need to lower your water on your own.

There's no overflow line but there is a hose bibb between the pump and the filter that I can attach a hose to. I'll turn on the pump, open the hose bibb and drain the pool down to the middle of the top tile.

After my 75% drain/refill earlier this year, I'm trying our a new strategy. In an attempt to mitigate increasing calcium levels, I use the bib to drain water while it's raining. I pull water from the main (bottom) drain as the fresh calcium-free rain water falls from above. A good storm of 3 to 4 inches is equivalent to a 5%-7% drain/refill. Not huge numbers, but enough to delay a more substantial drain/refill.

I deal with increasing calcium levels as well. My fill water has 90 ppm and my levels are rising. This rain may help out a little, I'll have to wait and see where I'm at after the rainy season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.