Water level drops at pump in spa mode

josh_j

Mar 18, 2019
Houston, TX
When operating my pool in normal mode (suction from skimmers and return to pool) my 2HP Pentair pump has maybe 3 or 4 bubbles that linger at the top. If I move the 2-way valve to suction from the spa bottom drain and leave the return to the pool, more air bubbles are introduced into the pump which makes me think I might have a problem with that 2-way valve lettting air in. If I move the 2-way valves to the spa for both suction and return the water level in the main pump drops fairly drastically like there isn’t enough water to keep up. What would cause this or is that normal?

Check the above ground pipe joint connections for air leaks between the pool and the pump. The valve could be the problem, but I'd check the pipe joints anyway. Could you post a couple of pictures of your pool and equipment pad? It helps us to have a visual of the way things are configured.

See attached pics...On the suction side I can choose pool skimmers or spa bottom drains. There used to be a valve to choose between pool skimmers and bottom drains (left valve in bottom picture), but it looks like they capped that pipe and now the bottom drains are only used if the water feature is on.95F4C091-24CA-4080-B710-EC6E5C810738.jpeg4EE0ACB6-0E2A-47FE-A4C0-ED1D222F8B58.jpeg895F1F07-7FC6-424E-8BB9-77A1CC9BE151.jpeg

Josh,

If you get bubbles under the pump lid with a 2 HP single speed pump, then you have a suction side air leak. The first place I would look is at the threaded input to the pump, as it appears there is a ton of goop there.. It could that the pump O-Ring is bad or not lubed.. Has the pump ever run dry??

As you point out it could also be one of the two suction valves... I would try the water hose test. You run water over the pump (not motor) and valves while watching the bubbles.. If you see the bubbles suddenly go away, that is where the air leak is.. Rebuild kits for the valves are pretty cheap and it would not hurt to just rebuild them.

Here are some more ideas... Trouble Free Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. When I get my filter put back together I will try that. I doubt it is the connection point to the pump due to lack of bubbles when sucking from the pool skimmers.

What I don’t understand is the water level drop in the pump basket when suction is from the spa drain and return is to the spa jets. I do not have this problem when suction is from the spa and return is to the pool.

Josh,

Still sounds like an suction side air leak to me... The fact that it works in one mode, or the other, could just be the fact that the pump has to work harder to send the water back to the spa than the easier path back to the pool. If this were my pool, I would try the hose trick when in the mode that empties the pump.. It should be pretty obvious if you hit the problem area. If that did not work, I would probably just rebuild both the Intake and Return valves.

Once you find it, please report back your fix.. It could help others with the same issue in the future..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.