East Brunswick, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Resilience / Aquacomfort A5
I have an inground pool with an extreme mesh safety cover. For years, when closing the pool I would lower the water level to just below the skimmer before blowing everything out and placing a gizmo in the skimmer. Just recently got a replacement extreme mesh cover and the installer insisted on not lower the water level at all. He said the higher water level would provide support for when snow and ice weigh down the middle of the cover.

Which is the best method? If I leave the water level at normal height, what happens to all the water that gets in? It would surely reach the top before next spring?

We get about 3 ft of offsesson rain and melted snow in the Northeast. With a permeable cover, it adds up quick. It's your choice if you want to drain a foot 3 times, six inches 6 times, etc etc etc.

Unless it lines up with when I was draining anyway, I will lower the water right before any big freezes so I can make it through the next month or two.

Brand depending, the covers can be 12 to 18 inches above the water and be ok. Slack is kinda funny. Hold a piece of string tight and move your hands an inch closer and the string drops 3 (?). It doesn't strain the cover nearly as much as it looks when the water is lower because the springs have a couple inches of play on both sides.

Plus, it starts accumulating right away so before long it has more water support. The 'ice rink' takes quite some time to thaw when we do get a deep freeze and it can be weeks above or near freezing while accumulating more water under the cover, which is why I like to start low at that time.

Reactions: Tomwk196
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.