Jackson, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a water leak just above the pump/basket. Its not a big water loss, but as the day goes on, the area around is all wet.
Does anyone have recommendations on fixing the leak? Thanks!

20210812_112609.jpg

Your best bet is to switch those fittings out with a high temp union, make sure it is 1.5 inch or 2 inch threads and slip.. :)

Thanks - I'm not too familiar with these. Does it involve cutting the pipe above the lip and then unscrewing (assuming its threaded) the union off the pump?

Does it involve cutting the pipe above the lip and then unscrewing (assuming its threaded) the union off the pump?
It does. Unfortunately in many original builds, cheaper is better. Installers screw a one-piece adapter into the pump then glue the PVC to it. But then you're stuck because you can't twist the adapter later. So you are forced to cut the pipe to unscrew the original adapter. So now you use those slip-union adapters that are 2-piece products. One part is the adapter than screws into the pump and the other glues to the pipe you cut. Then they screw together and be unscrewed later if needed.

Thank you both - makes sense! I'll be waiting until this heat wave passes as we don't want to be without the pool should something go wrong.

Further up the pipe there is a union that I was able to disconnect and then unscrew the pipe from the pump. I cleaned off the teflon tape and that caulk like substance in the picture in the first post. The threads on the pipe looked fine. I applied a new layer of tape, screwed the pipe back in, made sure it was tight and connected the union. I still get a leak (pic below). I didnt think I would need that caulk like was there previously, correct? Do i need a thicker layer of tape? Any thoughts? Thanks again!

20210814_105422.jpg

Last edited:
That is great, now you can get that union for your pump and easily cut the pipe and glue the union in.. they are specifically made so they do not leak and have an O ring on them :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.