Water is finally crystal clear, but still high consumption of chlorine

Aug 5, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I've learned so much from reading these forums, but I'm a bit stumped now. Our family took a two week vacation in July, and although we had a friend come a couple times to check on the pool, we came back to a very cloudy pool.

We got home really late, so first thing the next morning I added eight gallons of chlorine, and then had to go to work. When I got home, I tested the water and got these results:
FC=.59
CC= 4.79
pH=7.1
Alk=150
CH=182
CYA=0

I started the SLAM, and went through TONS of chlorine - 30 gallons over the first 3 days. The water cleared up little by little. After four days, the clarity was back to normal. The combined chlorine has been below 1 for several days, but the pool is still consuming a lot of chlorine. I test and add chlorine first thing in the morning, mid-afternoon when I get home from work, and at night.

My latest test results today were:
FC=15.2
CC=0.5
pH=7.5
Alk=155
CH=188
CYA=35

I've been trying to maintain the FC at 14-16. I'm losing about 4ppm of free chlorine overnight the past several nights. And the FC seems to be dropping at a constant rate throughout the day as well. The past four days the water has been clear, but still consuming chlorine at a constant rate. I add 1-1.5 gallons each time I test (~3 times a day). I brush and vaccuum every couple days.

Any advice? Thanks!!!

I've learned so much from reading these forums, but I'm a bit stumped now. Our family took a two week vacation in July, and although we had a friend come a couple times to check on the pool, we came back to a very cloudy pool.

We got home really late, so first thing the next morning I added eight gallons of chlorine, and then had to go to work. When I got home, I tested the water and got these results:
FC=.59
CC= 4.79
pH=7.1
Alk=150
CH=182
CYA=0

I started the SLAM, and went through TONS of chlorine - 30 gallons over the first 3 days. The water cleared up little by little. After four days, the clarity was back to normal. The combined chlorine has been below 1 for several days, but the pool is still consuming a lot of chlorine. I test and add chlorine first thing in the morning, mid-afternoon when I get home from work, and at night.

My latest test results today were:
FC=15.2
CC=0.5
pH=7.5
Alk=155
CH=188
CYA=35

I've been trying to maintain the FC at 14-16. I'm losing about 4ppm of free chlorine overnight the past several nights. And the FC seems to be dropping at a constant rate throughout the day as well. The past four days the water has been clear, but still consuming chlorine at a constant rate. I add 1-1.5 gallons each time I test (~3 times a day). I brush and vaccuum every couple days.

Any advice? Thanks!!!

I’m in the exact same situation and just posted pretty much same. No idea what’s up. I’ll keep an eye on you’re thread and let ya know if I figure my issue out.

It did show the classic signs of CYA conversion to ammonia, disappearing CYA, high CC, low ph, but pretty rare to occur in such a short time period and with the water not swampy.

Solution is just following the SLAM Process at this point as the ammonia (if that is what it was) is gone now.

At 10:30pm last night, free chlorine measured 13.5.
At 6:30am this morning, it dropped to 10ppm.

Combined chlorine stayed around 0.5.

Just keep at it? I'm consistently adding the same amount of liquid chlorine every day for the past 5-6 days (~4 per day).

Your SLAM criteria is not met (OCLT). Any remaining ammonia (if you ever had it) would immediately consume all of your chlorine. So not ammonia. Sounds like there is just some residual nasties left. Keep at it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.