Water Guru Sense 2

After testing the sense 2 for a couple of months and going back and forth with support on the unit I just can’t recommend purchasing this.
I have had problems with wildly inconsistent and inaccurate readings on a daily basis especially with the CYA readings. The have no fix for this and unfortunately I will be sending back my unit for a refund. On the whole most readings are off of my Taylor test kit and there are days that the unit fluctuates so much it’s really not worth the cost of the cartridges. I was hopeful that the unit would be a bridge to regular maintenance-manuel testing but unfortunately I do not think this is ready for prime time.
Thanks for the update. I'm going to hold off.

I have had the Sense 2 installed for one month now and I find that the Ph and FC are reliable vs my Taylor test kit. I do not trust the TA, CYA, or CH values at all; especially the CH as they are substantially different that my Taylor data. I am installing a new cassette tomorrow which will be only the Ph and FC which I am looking forward to so that I am not inundated with untrustworthy parameters. I now manually input Taylor values into the app. I am sort of overkilling that since I am using the pool math app also.

On average, the TA is probably off 10-30% and the CH 30-40%. CYA is probably 10-15%. However, viewing the black dot is somewhat subjective to me anyway so I do not fret that one. I stopped using Tricolor several weeks ago after having to drain the pool about 80%. The pool guy who I no longer have, got the CYA at 300 or so.

I did receive my Water Guru lab test today which was almost two weeks after I mailed it. They drop the values in the app on their test date and not the date that I wrote on the test vial. So, two week old data does not really help me. However, I did go back to August 11th and compared the lab data to the Sense 2 data and again, the TA, CYA, and CH were way different. Their own lab data invalidates their Sense 2 data. Interesting.

In summary, I trust Ph and FC but not the rest of it. So, the three pack of new cassettes is supposed to be rotated between the PH/FC cassette and the all inclusive cassette. I may not use that one at all.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: IceShadow
I'm kinda following this thread, since I recently purchased the S2 and set it up. So far, I'm liking the daily updates.....still on the C5 cartridge. Results seem to be close enough to my Taylor drip tests and at least as consistent as my occasional Leslies samples. Too early for me to say that I'd recommend it. However, my expectations being met, I wouldn't steer someone from it and I don't know if there is anything better out there.

I'm kinda following this thread, since I recently purchased the S2 and set it up. So far, I'm liking the daily updates.....still on the C5 cartridge. Results seem to be close enough to my Taylor drip tests and at least as consistent as my occasional Leslies samples. Too early for me to say that I'd recommend it. However, my expectations being met, I wouldn't steer someone from it and I don't know if there is anything better out there.

After some more run time with the C5 cartridge, I will say that TA and CYA are pretty darn close to Taylor, but CH is still an issue. I measured 425 yesterday and again today but the C5 data has been fluctuating between 325 to 375. I just replaced the C5 today with a 60 day C2 (Ph and FC only), so it will be another two months before more comparative TA/CH/CYA information. Ph and FC both continue to be reliable

Last edited:
I bought the sense 2 9/28/23 only PH and FC seem accurate. CYA, CH are way off. They basically admitted they had an issue with the readings. My last reading was 1/16/23. I tried changing the batteries and no lights, no bluetooth, no wifi. I bought it to stop using tabs when I travel to maintain chlorine levels as that makes my CYA go too high. I wanted to get remote readings and tell my family how much liquid chlorine to add. 5 days before a trip it dies. $265 for 3 month life? Lets see what response I get out of them this time. They did send me a new free cassette within the first month then a Taylor kit for Chlorine only. But nothing to really address the readings issues. I might as well have bought the sense one as that is all that seems to be accurate. I bought the Sense 2 more because of the floating ring as my vac side cleaner hose occupies the skimmer and my skimmer has a floating weir inside the basket from over 23 years now.

Reactions: HermanTX
I bought the sense 2 9/28/23 only PH and FC seem accurate. CYA, CH are way off. They basically admitted they had an issue with the readings. My last reading was 1/16/23. I tried changing the batteries and no lights, no bluetooth, no wifi. I bought it to stop using tabs when I travel to maintain chlorine levels as that makes my CYA go too high. I wanted to get remote readings and tell my family how much liquid chlorine to add. 5 days before a trip it dies. $265 for 3 month life? Lets see what response I get out of them this time. They did send me a new free cassette within the first month then a Taylor kit for Chlorine only. But nothing to really address the readings issues. I might as well have bought the sense one as that is all that seems to be accurate. I bought the Sense 2 more because of the floating ring as my vac side cleaner hose occupies the skimmer and my skimmer has a floating weir inside the basket from over 23 years now.
Since I last posted, my FC now reads 2-3 ppm higher than FAS DPD. I keep my FC between 5 and 10 due to our CYA of 70. I had quite a few back and forth with their tech guy and he too sent me another cassette and a FAS dPD kit which I gave to my sister since I had one already. I have not had any resolution, but I am hoping the next cassette resolves the FC problem. He did tell me that they had issues with Ph due to manufacturing quality control for a bit and he was going to chase the same for FC. I am ok with Ph since I can't distinguish half the time myself using the drop tests. I also learned that the Sense 2 is more advanced and is worth it even for just Ph and FC. I also learned that he too is not pleased with the CYA, TA, and CH readings and they are working on it. Hence, I really am good with just the Ph and FC cassette and doing my own testing anyway. I now just subtract 2-3 from my FC measurements and that puts me close to FAS DPD. This pool is at a home where we are only there 25% of the time so the remote readings are helpful.

I bought it to stop using tabs when I travel to maintain chlorine

This pool is at a home where we are only there 25% of the time so the remote readings are helpful.
Get a SWG. I just ran current #s for a member the other day and a RJ45 in 15k gallons paid back a 2X ROI with a full professional install. For a DIY install it was 3X+ and replacement cells that didn't need the install or the controller were paying out stupid high ROI of 6X to 8X over Walmart liquid chlorine.

Once you get over the learning curve, you will rarely be needed and a week or three away is easily achievable.

Reactions: InyoRich
Get a SWG. I just ran current #s for a member the other day and a RJ45 in 15k gallons paid back a 2X ROI with a full professional install. For a DIY install it was 3X+ and replacement cells that didn't need the install or the controller were paying out stupid high ROI of 6X to 8X over Walmart liquid chlorine.

Once you get over the learning curve, you will rarely be needed and a week or three away is easily achievable.
Thanks for that. I will talk to a local company in Galveston about the logistics and cost to install. We do not have a very large footprint for more equipment, so I will just need to see if it can fit or how we can make it fit. I only trust my FAS DPD testing, but so far the Waterguru does put me in the ballpark. Finding a pool guy to actually understand dosing of liquid chlorine is tough. We were recently gone for two weeks and the FC got low which I knew it would. He poured in a full gallon of chlorine in a 7200 gallon pool plus one Trichlor tablet. I recently gave him a dosing chart and reminded him to not use the tablets. The SWG system would save some angst. Thanks.

We do not have a very large footprint for more equipment, so I will just need to see if it can fit or how we can make it fit
Got pics ?

When you are out there mumbling to yourself about how you could fit it, don't be constrained by what you see. You can add a loop either upwards, front/back, or left/right. A few 90s will not make a noticeable difference in flow so get creative.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cut out the tab feeder and add a vertical loop. The flow switch needs 'up flow' so gravity can't close it when the spring fails. (When...... not if).

Some units have the flow switch in the cell, others have a seperate switch. If all in one, the cell goes on the up pipe. If seperate like the Circupools, the flow switch goes on the up pipe and the cell goes on the down pipe.

Screenshot_20240210_183551_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Fjwagner
Cut out the tab feeder and add a vertical loop. The flow switch needs 'up flow' so gravity can't close it when the spring fails. (When...... not if).

Some units have the flow switch in the cell, others have a seperate switch. If all in one, the cell goes on the up pipe. If seperate like the Circupools, the flow switch goes on the up pipe and the cell goes on the down pipe.

View attachment 553635
Nice and thanks!!! I have a heater leak and will be meeting the pool company next week for a warranty repair and I will talk to them about this and what we can do. I will do more research in the meantime. This is great. Fred

Reactions: Newdude
Commenting to follow this one.

I was considering purchasing a WaterGuru as an additional safety net once I'm confident in my SWG settings and PH stability to extend beyond daily testing. Once I realized they moved to the Sense 2 model with the 5 way testing it made me reconsider though. Aside from losing a month of just FC/PH testing I don't really see much value in getting frequent/daily CYA/TA/CH results one month out of every 5 months.

Hoping to read some positive feedback here on Sense 2 I'd love to pull the trigger. It looks like there is a Homebridge plugin which would allow me to pull this data into my Apple Home where all my Pentair data and controls feeds into. I'm a sucker for spending money on anything that pulls my pool data into my smarthome system...
I just had the S2 come though as an Advertisement, how did Facebook know I’m thinking about changing or cancelling my weekly pool service?

The website looks like it’s magic, and more importantly- Idiot Proof.

Scrolling though here, it looks like a mixed bag of “it’s really good” or “it sucks”

Curious to know if you have pulled the trigger and how is the outcome?

I have now been using waterguru sense 2 for 6 months. It's not perfect, but I am satisfied with it and would recommend it to others. Here are my thoughts on the product.

If there was an option of only using the C2 cartridges that only checks the pH and chlorine level daily, I would opt for that. I have found the pH to be accurate and within 0.1 of the pH measured with my taylor test kit. The chlorine is also accurate and within 0.5ppm of my taylor test kit.

The C5 cartridges record cyanuric acid, total alkalinity, and calcium hardness daily in addition to the daily chlorine and pH readings. On one hand, I don't need daily recordings of my cyanuric acid, total alkalinity, and calcium hardness levels. Secondly I have observed the total alkalinity and calcium hardness readings to be inaccurate. The cyanuric acid levels are accurate and within less than 10ppm of my taylor test kit levels. The calcium hardness levels are generally recorded 100-200ppm lower than than my taylor test kit levels. Moreover, the waterguru sense 2 calcium hardness levels fluctuate daily where the levels recorded by my taylor test kit are very consistent. The total alkalinity levels recorded by the waterguru sense 2 do not fluctuate like the calcium hardness recordings do, but they are still not accurate. The waterguru sense 2 generally records my total alkalinity levels in the mid 40s where my taylor test kit records it between 70-80.

All that being said, I would purchase the waterguru sense 2 again knowing what I know now. It frees me up from recording my chlorine and pH daily with my taylor test kit. I now only check it once a week with my taylor test kit. Another benefit of the waterguru, is that I can make adjustments to my chlorine generator remotely when I'm away from home if my waterguru reports a significant change in my chlorine levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: IceShadow
The total alkalinity levels recorded by the waterguru sense 2 do not fluctuate like the calcium hardness recordings do, but they are still not accurate. The waterguru sense 2 generally records my total alkalinity levels in the mid 40s where my taylor test kit records it between 70-80.
Does the system show adjusted TA vs true TA (Taylor test kit)? Many pool store test results show adjusted TA (which takes into effect the level of CYA). This could be one reason of the 20 point difference in the 2 results.

Reactions: Newdude
Does the system show adjusted TA vs true TA (Taylor test kit)? Many pool store test results show adjusted TA (which takes into effect the level of CYA). This could be one reason of the 20 point difference in the 2 results.
That makes sense and may be what is happening with the waterguru, but I haven't seen any documentation from waterguru to confirm it.
On their support website, this is mentioned:
Your Target TA is %TAtarg

Target TA level is dependent on your pH, cyanuric acid (CYA), calcium hardness (CH) levels and on water temperature.

Has anyone seen the new Sense S2 from Water Guru? Supposedly will test for all the things: pH, FC, TA, CYA. I was happy with our old one. It was good to have a general sense of pH and Chlorine each day and a graph of the trends, especially when we weren't at home. I'm thinking even a ballpark of TA and CYA would be nice to see without taking the big kit out. Has anyone tried it yet?
$325! Then new cassettes every 30 and 60 days, prices on that looks a little confusing but $60+ for 2 months worth of tests.
I looked at them but for the price it's easy enough to just check the chlorine level and PH myself. They are pretty stable once you learn your pool.

The system is cool though just can't justify the cost. If it was 100 bucks maybe.