Water gives electrical shock and heater doesn't stop heating...are both connected:

Jun 18, 2017
Canada
Hello all!

I'm new and need some help!

I have a hot tub that gives me a slight shock when I touch the water....I also have a heater that doesn't stop heating...put the water temp past 115 degrees.
Are both related or coincidence?
The green ground wires for the heater and motor have corrosion on them..could that be the problem?
The motor is hooked up into a GFI and the GFI isn't tripping...I replaced the GFI last year and things were running fine until I started the tub up yesterday.

By the way..tub is 1980's old school Hayward motor.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 12.07.44 AM.jpg

Re: Water gives electrical shock and heater doesn't stop heating...are both a connect

Welcome.
I highly recommend getting an electrician to check this out. Water and electricity do not mix.

Please be careful.

Take care.

Re: Water gives electrical shock and heater doesn't stop heating...are both a connect

You should disconnect power to the tub immediately and leave it off until you can get it professionally serviced.

I was going to cut the power and disconnect the heater and power it back on to see if the issue is still there.
I did reset the GFI and there was no issue with the shocking feeling when touching the water right away, but it came back a hour or so later.

Those corroded connections should be properly cleaned and I would also change that ground bar. All the components should be properly grounded and bonded. I think that may be at least part of your problem, all ground and bond connections should be inspected and cleaned (both ends).

I would recommend an electrician to do the servicing. Also use of a dielectric gel on the cleaned connection point will help prevent the corrosion from reoccuring.

Based on the age and reported problems, the whole mechanical and electrical system needs to be checked.

If you can provide more details and pictures, we might be able to help more.

What system do you have?

How old is it?

Ok, I'll get that info later today.

I forgot to mention that the power to the outside GFI outlet ( before the shed ) doesn't work...and the outlet inside the shed only works when the light switch is turned on to power the hot tub.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

What do you mean professionally serviced? Which part?
Thanks!

Professionally serviced by someone who is trained on the products to troubleshoot and repair electrical problems. Touching the water to see if it will still shock you is not the way to troubleshoot an electrical problem that involves water. It could have catastrophic consequences including electrocution. It is already clear that the gfci isn't protecting against shock.

This is how my electrical is laid out. I do not get the shock if I am wearing shoes, but bare feet I do.
The light switch turns the power on to the hot tub...just a basic light switch, nothing special.View attachment 63996

It looks like the GFI of the hot tub is downstream of the GFI feeding the shed. While this should not cause the problem you are reporting it is not a good idea to have a GFI downstream of another GFI.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I'll get that info later today.

I forgot to mention that the power to the outside GFI outlet ( before the shed ) doesn't work...and the outlet inside the shed only works when the light switch is turned on to power the hot tub.

What do you meant that it doesn't work?

It looks like the GFI of the hot tub is downstream of the GFI feeding the shed. While this should not cause the problem you are reporting it is not a good idea to have a GFI downstream of another GFI.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you meant that it doesn't work?

I can plug a power tool or light into that outlet and nothing comes on..no power ( the GFI on the outside of the house ). Would this mean that I have it hooked up wrong if the
shed is still getting power?

- - - Updated - - -

Should I disconnect the GFI at the side of the house altogether and just marrette the wires together in a sealed box?

GFCI outlets have two sets of terminals, Line and Load. looking at the back of the unit to determine which is which.

The line terminals are to connect from the power source.

The load terminals are used to protect outlets downstream.

This article has great diagrams showing the different ways to hook them up

Wiring Diagrams for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Receptacles - Do-it-yourself-help.com

GFCIs have a test and reset button. For the outlet that is not working, have you tried resetting it? Some of the newer GFCIs must have the reset button held in for a few seconds to properly reset.

GFCI outlets have two sets of terminals, Line and Load. looking at the back of the unit to determine which is which.

The line terminals are to connect from the power source.

The load terminals are used to protect outlets downstream.

This article has great diagrams showing the different ways to hook them up

Wiring Diagrams for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Receptacles - Do-it-yourself-help.com

GFCIs have a test and reset button. For the outlet that is not working, have you tried resetting it? Some of the newer GFCIs must have the reset button held in for a few seconds to properly reset.

Thank you for the link! I'll inspect how I have things wired up and post results.

Hot tub GFI outlets are all running and check out as correct wring on my outlet testor. I am now cleaning the corrosion off all connections. Quick question..should there be a wire going from the motor housing to the grounding bar?
It's an older Hayward ( gold colour 110 motor )...I see a hole where it look like a screw used to be...

2012-03-17_200423_electrical-533x585.jpg
I was going to use this diagram for proper wiring of the GFI at the hot tub.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the screws going into the grounding bar need to be copper? To attach the grounding bar to the box as well as the wires?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.