Water ‘feel’

Objectively CYA is important because it buffers the chlorine so it isn't as harsh. If you put someone in a pool with 1 ppm FC and zero CYA and a pool with 20 ppm FC and 50 CYA and asked them which pool had more chlorine, they would almost exclusively say the first. So many people think they want less chlorine in their pools, but what they really want is less noticeable chlorine and it's one of the more difficult things to convince people new to TFP that more chlorine can be less noticeable.

Subject measures include pH, salt, and borates. pH is just a personal preference, there isn't much rhyme or reason to why someone feels more comfortable in one or another pH but they do. Salt is also somewhat subjective and I think a lot of times it is more placebo effect, but that's why it's subjective. Borates do change the feel of water, it's just subject whether someone thinks it is more "soft" or "slimy". It's like the cilantro of the pool world.

Objectively CYA is important because it buffers the chlorine so it isn't as harsh. If you put someone in a pool with 1 ppm FC and zero CYA and a pool with 20 ppm FC and 50 CYA and asked them which pool had more chlorine, they would almost exclusively say the first. So many people think they want less chlorine in their pools, but what they really want is less noticeable chlorine and it's one of the more difficult things to convince people new to TFP that more chlorine can be less noticeable.

Subject measures include pH, salt, and borates. pH is just a personal preference, there isn't much rhyme or reason to why someone feels more comfortable in one or another pH but they do. Salt is also somewhat subjective and I think a lot of times it is more placebo effect, but that's why it's subjective. Borates do change the feel of water, it's just subject whether someone thinks it is more "soft" or "slimy". It's like the cilantro of the pool world.
I bought 45 lbs of proteam supreme plus ?

Both my wife and I enjoy the feel of salt compared to liquid chlorine only. We added borate for improved pH control and neither of us noticed any improved "feel". We've never run more than 50 ppm CYA but didn't notice any difference from 0 to 50 CYA.

Proteam is one of those "magic" compounds they won't disclose what's in it. SDS implies it has borates. But also claims to have corrosion inhibitors and risk of fertility defects. I'd return it. You could do salt and borate for about the same price. You'd also know exactly what is in your water.

Chris

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dapdo
I have been in other neighbors/friends pools for parties and the like and the "feel" of their non-salt pools feel more harsher than ours I believe.
Not sure what their chemistry was, but I run my salt level at approximately 3800ppm, pH at 7.6 (in the summer months), CH - 450 , TA -70 and CYA about 75. But last year, I introduced 50ppm of Boric Acid to our pool. That really seemed to have a nice effect on water "feel" and seemed to give the water better clarity as well I believe.
Hope this info is helpful to you.
All-the-best...
r.

Finished and filled 2 wks ago

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.