Water feature won't prime

cmooty

Jan 25, 2017
League City, TX
My system has a water feature pump with its own suction, feeding diverter valve to two falls, or two vertical jets in the splash pad area. Lately the system will not prime. I've checked and lubed the filter basket lid seal, but no change. If I shove a hose in the suction line, I can back fill and if I pull it and close it and start the pump quickly it will prime. But if I them turn it off, it will lose prime in less than 5 minutes. Do I need to install a check valve? Other suggestions? Why are the check valves 2 in to 2 1/2 in?

C,

You can install a check valve, but it will just mask whatever is the cause of your pump not priming.. If the pump lid is not leaking air then it has to be leaking in somewhere else..

Remember when you were a kid and would put your thumb over the end of a straw and pull water out of a glass.. And, when you took your thumb off the straw the water would come out of the straw.. Well your pump system works the same way.. No air in, no water out...

One thing you can do is turn the pump on and slowly run a garden hose over the pipes and valves and see if you can find a spot that cause the pump to prime. I would suspect the threaded connections on the pump if you have let the pump run dry in the past..

You can also use plastic wrap on the pipes and connections to try and identify the leak.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.