Water exchange complete, now need to get rid of algae

StephenRMcKay

Aug 21, 2021
Bluff City TN
Hey guys,

I just completed a 70% water exchange on my 33000g I/G pool. Nearing the end, I could finally see the floor drain for the first time in months. After it completed, I brought my pool levels up to near perfect. Then I vacuumed the pool floor because of the algea build up. Now the pool is really murky and cloudy. It settled a bit yesterday enough for me to vacuum the floor again for the second time. What now do I need to do to get my pool clear and algae free? Help please!

Pics are while vacuuming and after.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-180121_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922-180121_Gallery.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20210922-180126_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922-180126_Gallery.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20210922-180338.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922-180338.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 48
Ok all you wonderful pool people. Just a quick question. I have maintained my SLAM levels For a week. CYA 40, FC 16 PH 7.2 TA is 110.

We started last thursday, and its Wednesday, and the pool is a nice blue in color but completely cloudy. The water is not clear. I have back washed the filter, brushed the walls, my polaris is running to keep algae from settling on the floor. Is there anything else I am missing? Will I wake up one morning and it be crystal clear?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210929-173719_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210929-173719_Gallery.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210929-173715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210929-173715_Gallery.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 26
Ok guys, we have made significant progress. I cant thank you all enough. I see just a small dusting of algae on the bottom of the pool when I brush. My FC is at 12.5 (CYA is holding 40) so target slam FC is 16. Should I add chlorine to the pool until all algae is non existent?

Also, once algae is gone, how do I bring the FC to level? Just let it gradually get there?

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-181502_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-181502_Gallery.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 31
Three criteria to exit slam:
OCLT 1FC or less loss
<= .5 CC
Clear Water

Only need to test FC while slamming. Only need to test CC after OCLT passes.

The more often you check FC and add LC to get back to SLAM level, the faster this will go. No more often than every 2 hours.

I don't know which pool shark you have, but you might consider running it, will suction off the stuff on the bottom. My dolphin really helped me with SLAM.

Reactions: StephenRMcKay

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Three criteria to exit slam:
OCLT 1FC or less loss
<= .5 CC
Clear Water

Only need to test FC while slamming. Only need to test CC after OCLT passes.

The more often you check FC and add LC to get back to SLAM level, the faster this will go. No more often than every 2 hours.

I don't know which pool shark you have, but you might consider running it, will suction off the stuff on the bottom. My dolphin really helped me with SLAM.
I have a Polaris three wheeled shark that really helps kick the algae up of the bottom. I dont think it will suction it off, if it did it would just go through the mesh bag it has to collect debris like leaves and sand etc. Would it be better to vacuum to waste?

Would it be better to vacuum to waste?
Always.

If fill water is expensive or you don't have good drainage areas then it can be counterproductive, but if not...... it's a GREAT way to get rid of the gunk.

You can cheat too by brushing most of if to one general area and then only needing to vac that area. The brush will be stirring up a mess, but give it a few mins to settle and hit it again. A few real quick tries later it's all in the one spot.

I have a Polaris three wheeled shark that really helps kick the algae up of the bottom. I dont think it will suction it off, if it did it would just go through the mesh bag it has to collect debris like leaves and sand etc. Would it be better to vacuum to waste?
For the long run, you might consider getting an electric robot, not suction or pressure. They have fine filters vs. the "bag" you have on your pressure cleaner. I have an older Dolphin DX3 (now the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus). There are many brands/options. I have IG vinyl pool, I get lots of fine debris and leaves (Dolphin handles both with aplomb). I have two skimmers, two returns, no main drain. The robot has been a god-send. I had big balls of dead algae it took off the bottom when I slammed. It circulates the water in the pool, making the filter more effective. It picks of the fine stuff and picks up leaves.

Don't get fooled as you've made great progress but it's not TFP clear yet so keep it going.
I agree! It's getting there, but as I looked today there is still that fine dusting of algae. I just added more chlorine and tomorrow I'll vacuum to waste. I'll keep it up until its crystal!
Always.

If fill water is expensive or you don't have good drainage areas then it can be counterproductive, but if not...... it's a GREAT way to get rid of the gunk.

You can cheat too by brushing most of if to one general area and then only needing to vac that area. The brush will be stirring up a mess, but give it a few mins to settle and hit it again. A few real quick tries later it's all in the one spot.
Water here is super cheap, cheaper than I expected. My water bill is normally around $50 a month, but I did this water exchange (21,400 gallons) and my bill only went up $70 to total at 120. I was shocked. I'll just vacuum to waste.
For the long run, you might consider getting an electric robot, not suction or pressure. They have fine filters vs. the "bag" you have on your pressure cleaner. I have an older Dolphin DX3 (now the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus). There are many brands/options. I have IG vinyl pool, I get lots of fine debris and leaves (Dolphin handles both with aplomb). I have two skimmers, two returns, no main drain. The robot has been a god-send. I had big balls of dead algae it took off the bottom when I slammed. It circulates the water in the pool, making the filter more effective. It picks of the fine stuff and picks up leaves.
This next season of this pool will bring a lot of changes. Number one, a SWG. Then I'll look into this type of electric robot. Anything that enhances this pool is what I'm after. Its great to have, but i have learned that the more effort you put in, the better the experience. I hope to never see green again!

but i have learned that the more effort you put in, the better the experience. I hope to never see green again!
Right now you are undoing things that took considerable time to happen. They won’t be fixed overnight either. The SLAM has an awesome secondary bonus to it. When folks go ‘all-in’ and learn exactly what they will need to do next time……. They are usually dead set against having a next time. It’s truely the old adage that an ounce of prevention whoops a pound of cure. Like anything else there is a slight learning curve, but once it becomes second nature and you are at one with your pool, You will be just as bored with pool care as the rest of us, as a daily or 2 day FC check is all you’ll really need more often than not. You’ll be all ready and willing to do something……. Anything at all……. And not need it 9 times out of 10. If you switch to SWG, it’s even less because the couple of minutes you would have spent each day becomes weekly or bi-weekly. Friends will beg to know your secrets and you won’t want to tell them how little you do for fear of upsetting the pool gods. :ROFLMAO: Which is fine anyway because the friends really don’t want to listen. They just want confirmation that their ignoring the pool and what they ignorantly dump into it is the best way.

With all your free time you’ll hang out here to pay it forward with all your free time because you own pool doesn’t need squat. *Thats* how we are all here…. cuz we have nothing else to do. :)

Right now you are undoing things that took considerable time to happen. They won’t be fixed overnight either. The SLAM has an awesome secondary bonus to it. When folks go ‘all-in’ and learn exactly what they will need to do next time……. They are usually dead set against having a next time. It’s truely the old adage that an ounce of prevention whoops a pound of cure. Like anything else there is a slight learning curve, but once it becomes second nature and you are at one with your pool, You will be just as bored with pool care as the rest of us, as a daily or 2 day FC check is all you’ll really need more often than not. You’ll be all ready and willing to do something……. Anything at all……. And not need it 9 times out of 10. If you switch to SWG, it’s even less because the couple of minutes you would have spent each day becomes weekly or bi-weekly. Friends will beg to know your secrets and you won’t want to tell them how little you do for fear of upsetting the pool gods. :ROFLMAO: Which is fine anyway because the friends really don’t want to listen. They just want confirmation that their ignoring the pool and what they ignorantly dump into it is the best way.

With all your free time you’ll hang out here to pay it forward with all your free time because you own pool doesn’t need squat. *Thats* how we are all here…. cuz we have nothing else to do. :)
Well, as I have exited slam, I have never saw this pool so pristine in my life. I just did my full weekly test on the pool and it's perfect. And what's unbelieveable is I did it for pennies instead of hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I seriously am indebted to you guys. I cant wait to be that guy that just looks at friends pools and laughs within, knowing that they are doing it injustice just like I was .... but I'll just keep quiet until they ask.

I plan on switching to a SWG next season, making the pool even easier to maintain. But, I do believe I'll be just like you guys, coming here to try and help someone else in the same state I was a month ago when I found TFP. I will soon become a supporter! Thanks to each of you for your help!

Well, as I have exited slam, I have never saw this pool so pristine in my life. I just did my full weekly test on the pool and it's perfect. And what's unbelieveable is I did it for pennies instead of hundreds and hundreds of dollars. I seriously am indebted to you guys. I cant wait to be that guy that just looks at friends pools and laughs within, knowing that they are doing it injustice just like I was .... but I'll just keep quiet until they ask.

I plan on switching to a SWG next season, making the pool even easier to maintain. But, I do believe I'll be just like you guys, coming here to try and help someone else in the same state I was a month ago when I found TFP. I will soon become a supporter! Thanks to each of you for your help!
In your media file you have 2 pictures back to back from same angle, one the original swamp and the the final pristine one. Just amazing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.