Water escaping from pool light...

May 12, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Two years ago I noticed water was escaping my pool light after a very cold night. I drained the pull below the pool light and then hired this plumber to come fix it. I think he cleaned out the outside of the pool light and applied some epoxy made for water use. Well, we just had a very cold night and water is leaving my pool by the light again.

What do you guys suggest? I have many months to fix the problem. Is there a special kind of epoxy I can order? Something stronger than they sell at Lowes?

If you are sure the leak is still from the back of the niche (conduit probably separated), you have a couple options:
- You can look for some butyl tape, which is a thick, gooey, tar like tape that can be pressed in place. When that's not available, try either Anderson's or AB epoxy putty. They can cure under water. Keep in mind that a hard-drying epoxy might make future repairs difficult if you had to pull the cord.
- Another popular method is a cord stopper as seen HERE.
- Finally, before going that deep, it's always a good idea to make sure the light ring/gasket area is sealing good as well.

Make sure before sealing to leave enough cord length for future light work if you need to pull it up & out onto the deck. :)

If you are sure the leak is still from the back of the niche (conduit probably separated), you have a couple options:
- You can look for some butyl tape, which is a thick, gooey, tar like tape that can be pressed in place. When that's not available, try either Anderson's or AB epoxy putty. They can cure under water. Keep in mind that a hard-drying epoxy might make future repairs difficult if you had to pull the cord.
- Another popular method is a cord stopper as seen HERE.
- Finally, before going that deep, it's always a good idea to make sure the light ring/gasket area is sealing good as well.

Make sure before sealing to leave enough cord length for future light work if you need to pull it up & out onto the deck. :)

So, I am a total idiot when it comes to this stuff. Water should not be getting passed the light fixture or housing, correct?

usc,

I see that you have been a member since 2011 and have yet to fill out your signature.. Without a signature it is impossible for us to have enough information to really answer your questions.

What kind of pool do you have where you can "see" water draining out of your light? Is it an above ground pool, a gunite pool, or vinyl liner pool? On most pools you can remove the light housing and place it on the deck, so I'm confused why you had to drain your pool to do that?

If you can tell us more about your pool, I suspect that you will get many more answers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The niche can be filled with water, actually the conduit as well as they are below the water line. That's why the electrical connection for the light has to be a certain height above ground - about a foot I think. Anyways, the water also helps to keep the larger halogen bulbs cool. If you have a new light application, I'm not sure. But often times the conduit in the back is what snaps from soil shifting, thus the leak begins. This illustration may help:

dbtgallery.php

usc,

I see that you have been a member since 2011 and have yet to fill out your signature.. Without a signature it is impossible for us to have enough information to really answer your questions.

What kind of pool do you have where you can "see" water draining out of your light? Is it an above ground pool, a gunite pool, or vinyl liner pool? On most pools you can remove the light housing and place it on the deck, so I'm confused why you had to drain your pool to do that?

If you can tell us more about your pool, I suspect that you will get many more answers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My apologies.

It's about a 20k gallon pool. In ground gunite. This happened 2 years ago during the winter. I had someone fix it with epoxy around the edges and filled it back up. It worked great till the latest freeze.

The water is draining now at a fast rate to the light fixture.

No worries. Hopefully that info will help you. If later you still need more help, maybe post a pic of the specific spot that's giving you trouble.

You can always update pool info (signature) by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Oh, don't forget to update your location (city/state) as well! :wink: Have a great weekend!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water can and will go behind the bulb housing into the niche and through the conduit (if not already sealed). This happens even during routine maintenance. But water shouldn't go "into" the bulb housing where the bulb itself is located. The trim and gasket should protect the bulb from water. Here is a good video that

How To: Replace A Swimming Pool or Spa Light - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

HINT: Also inspect the ring, gasket, and housing itself for any items that can compromise a good seal. Things like, cracks, out-of-round, calcium/scale, etc.

usc,

Yes it does.. the whole niche is filled with water, the metal ring is just for decoration, it does not hold any water back..

If you look at Pat's picture, the whole area where the wire is coiled is flooded with water. The only thing that will cause a leak is if the plastic shell is cracked, which often happens at the point where the conduit carrying the wires comes into the plastic shell..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Okay great, well since this happened two years ago. I think I should hire an electrician to come put everything back together. Someone who's familiar with these sort of wiring. I'll order all the pieces and have him assemble.

My pool is still draining onto the street. LOL I have had tons of neighbors knock on my door letting me know I have a water main break.

- - - Updated - - -

Texas Splash diagram really helped. Thank you

So, what is the best type of replacement multi color LED light I can buy? Since the pool has already drained, I might as well upgraded that part as well.

usc,

Tell me how your pool water is getting to the street? Do you have some kind of drain that leads to the street or is it just seeping out of the ground???

I only ask because I would not think that most pool light leaks would be that large...

Thanks,

Jim R.

usc,

Tell me how your pool water is getting to the street? Do you have some kind of drain that leads to the street or is it just seeping out of the ground???

I only ask because I would not think that most pool light leaks would be that large...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The back of the pool has a pool light. Behind the light it goes downhill to the street about 15 feet or so. Behind the light about 5 feet is where the light gets it's power. So, I assume the water is following the power to the light and down the hill to the street.

When a light leaks water, it's actually seeping out from the back of the niche where the conduit meets the fixture. Because the soil shifts and the pool might not, that connection point behind the niche is an easy break-point. To see some water loss from a leak like that is expected, but to see so much water that you literally see water flowing to the street as you mentioned above seems a bit much for a light leak. That's why Jim asked. We wanted to make sure there wasn't a possibility of water flowing from somewhere else, especially give the current weather conditions. So if you see anything else odd from your equipment pad area or around the pool, let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.