Water color from jets is cloudy white, pool is cloudy, cannot see the deep end.

Yes, added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine yesterday morning, 1 last night and 1 this morning.
Pump has been running non-stop for 24 hrs. The filter was supposed to catch any water mold but no luck so far.

Need some pointers please: (1) Should I keep running the pump for 24 hrs? (2) Can I use the regular bleach of 4-5% strength in lieu of WMT Pool Essentials? It's running out of stock locally. I guess it will not be strong enough? (3) Pump/Filter setup is attached. Feel free to comment. I hope I have the settings correct for complete & thorough filtration.

Thanks again!

Thumbs up to adding the liquid chlorine. Your size pool will need 1/2 to a full gallon of 10% liquid chlorine per day, when "healthy," so keep adding every day until you get your test kit.

You can use a weaker bleach. You'll just need to add more of it. One big caution though - Avoid Clorox or any bleach with additives. They contain a lot of extra ingredients that may be great for washing clothes but not for a pool. Definitely avoid Clorox "Splash Free" bleach, which actually has very little of the active ingredient in bleach.

However, you will definitely need a lot of bleach to SLAM your pool, so you might as well start searching for that now. Try your local hardware stores or Walmart. There is a thread somewhere else in this forum about finding local liquid chlorine, so you may want to check there.

Thumbs up to adding the liquid chlorine. Your size pool will need 1/2 to a full gallon of 10% liquid chlorine per day, when "healthy," so keep adding every day until you get your test kit.

You can use a weaker bleach. You'll just need to add more of it. One big caution though - Avoid Clorox or any bleach with additives. They contain a lot of extra ingredients that may be great for washing clothes but not for a pool. Definitely avoid Clorox "Splash Free" bleach, which actually has very little of the active ingredient in bleach.

However, you will definitely need a lot of bleach to SLAM your pool, so you might as well start searching for that now. Try your local hardware stores or Walmart. There is a thread somewhere else in this forum about finding local liquid chlorine, so you may want to check there.
Thank you Dtkokay for that insight, much appreciated.

If you have never deep cleaned it your filtering is probably not as effective as it could be. especially after using the floc
Thank you mguzzy for that insight, much appreciated. I am a little uncomfortable opening up the filter and going through the entire deep cleaning process. Is there an alternative? Some sort of Sand Filter Renue product that I can add?

Thank you mguzzy for that insight, much appreciated. I am a little uncomfortable opening up the filter and going through the entire deep cleaning process. Is there an alternative? Some sort of Sand Filter Renue product that I can add?
I'm sure someone will sell you something they claim will work, but probably nothing will work as well as the deep clean process as listed above. After the floc, you need to see the condition anyway. Once exposed you can determine it's condition and proceed from there.

Deep cleaning is easy. The hard part in your case is that you need unions on all connections to the MPV which I see one and maybe a second on the waste line but on the flex pvc you don't have a way to separate and that's when it gets cumbersome. My recommendation is to hard pipe the flex line and put a union there for maintenance. I would have said deeep cleaning isn't necessary with 2-3 week old sand but after the floc it would be a no brainer. Dirty filters usually hold back the progress. Make sure you have gasket lube on hand so the O ring on the valve seats properly when reassembled.

If there was a product to add I would NOT use it anyway... you just flocced your pool.. All that floc has to go somewhere and its likely in your sand. Deep cleaning is not that difficult.. and is really kind of cathartic... once you see the gunk streaming out you'll feel like you found the Lost Arc of clean filtration!

I'm sure someone will sell you something they claim will work, but probably nothing will work as well as the deep clean process as listed above. After the floc, you need to see the condition anyway. Once exposed you can determine it's condition and proceed from there.
Thanks, again, just realized and updated my 'pool signature' with Pond Vac 4. I used that to floc everything out. The pump was off while going through this process.

If there was a product to add I would NOT use it anyway... you just flocced your pool.. All that floc has to go somewhere and its likely in your sand. Deep cleaning is not that difficult.. and is really kind of cathartic... once you see the gunk streaming out you'll feel like you found the Lost Arc of clean filtration!
Thanks, again,I used Pond Vac 4 to floc everything out. The pump was off while going through this process. Floc was done on last Thursday-Friday.

Deep cleaning is easy. The hard part in your case is that you need unions on all connections to the MPV which I see one and maybe a second on the waste line but on the flex pvc you don't have a way to separate and that's when it gets cumbersome. My recommendation is to hard pipe the flex line and put a union there for maintenance. I would have said deeep cleaning isn't necessary with 2-3 week old sand but after the floc it would be a no brainer. Dirty filters usually hold back the progress. Make sure you have gasket lube on hand so the O ring on the valve seats properly when reassembled.
Thank you Wireform for your insight, you clearly described the challenge about the current unions, PVC pipes & the setup. I may have to get outside help after testing with TF100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Latest test results:
FC: 0.2
TC: 1.03
CC: 0.83
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 174
Alkalinity: 100
CA: 86

Water from jets look a little less cloudy this evening or the twilight is playing tricks :) Is it possible that the water mold is continuing to be caught in the filter.

Thank you all for your input. If I need to drain 1/2 way down so be it. Lesson Learnt.

Continuing in my mission towards a clear pool, I acquired 6 Gallons of LC and got a pool test done from another store to see if the results were kind of in the same ballpark. Oddly, enough it does not appear in a few areas. Results from last hr., 7/8/2020, EST, 6:00 PM.

FC 0.23
TC 2.96
CC 2.73
pH 7.1
Alkalinity 94
Hardness 181
CA 34

(yesterday evening around 5 PM it was 86!) - what gives? I only added 2 gallons of LC from yesterday night and it rained for about 1 hr. this afternoon)

Iron 0.1
Copper 0.2

Waiting for TF100 & Clear Pool Water

You can use regular bleach in lieu of Pool Bleach, you just need to account for the difference in strength, and make sure it's the right type. You do not want anything that says splashless, or scented, or any other additives to make it "better." Plain, boring, Original or Concentrated without any of those other things will do.

If you are using 5% instead of 10%, just use twice as much. If it's 8% or 6%, it will be somewhere in between.

Continuing in my mission towards a clear pool, I acquired 6 Gallons of LC and got a pool test done from another store to see if the results were kind of in the same ballpark. Oddly, enough it does not appear in a few areas. Results from last hr., 7/8/2020, EST, 6:00 PM.

FC 0.23
TC 2.96
CC 2.73
pH 7.1
Alkalinity 94
Hardness 181
CA 34

(yesterday evening around 5 PM it was 86!) - what gives? I only added 2 gallons of LC from yesterday night and it rained for about 1 hr. this afternoon)

Iron 0.1
Copper 0.2
TF100 Test Kit Results / 11th July @ 9:15 AM

CL Color: Pink
FC: 1.5
CC: 1.0
TC: 2.5
pH: 7.0
CH: 325
TA: 100
CYA: 85-90 (2 trials)

i can see the shallow end of the pool but not deep end. I will not add clarifier but puzzled on how to improve clarity.
Based on above, do I need to partially drain to reduce CYA?

Hi there, welcome to TFP.

First bit of advice is- Stay the heck outta pool stores!!! They have sold you products that actually cause problems to your pool and water such as copper stains (Clorox XtraBlue) and let algae grow amuck!

Advice # 2...get your own trusted test kit and test yourself! www.tftestkits.net sells my pick, the TF-100, OR find the Taylor K-2006C online. No others. Run tests and tell us:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if you use it.

Untill you get your tester, add one gallon of plain unscented, non-thickened, non-Clorox'd liquid bleach, or preferably the Walmart 10% Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine found in the pool section. Brush it daily after adding. Keep pump running and eye on filter pressure to clear that out when it needs.

Let us know questions and results of test

Maddie 🌻

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thanks, Maddie for your insight in advance. Got the TF100, here are the results.

TF100 Test Kit Results / 11th July @ 9:15 AM

CL Color: Pink
FC: 1.5
CC: 1.0
TC: 2.5
pH: 7.0
CH: 325
TA: 100
CYA: 85-90 (2 trials)

I can see the shallow end of the pool but not deep end. I will not add clarifier but puzzled on how to improve clarity.
Based on above, do I need to partially drain to reduce CYA?

What type of pool is this? Gunite, vinyl, fiberglass? Please add to signature.
You need to drain about 50% of your pool volume. How you do that depends on pool type.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.