Water cleared, low readings

dw9000

Aug 17, 2014
NW Ohio
I took a pH and FC sample, had almost no chlorine and about 7.8 to 8 pH. I added 2 gals of bleach. I took a reading 6 hrs later and the FC was up to about 4.
Today I took another reading, and the FC is close to 1. I took the CYA,, and it is about 26 (according to the black dot test).

According to the poolmath calculator, I need to add about 106 ounces liquid CYA and 1.5 bottles of bleach. Does it matter in which order and does one have to sit before adding the other?

Thanks in advance

I took a pH and FC sample, had almost no chlorine and about 7.8 to 8 pH. I added 2 gals of bleach. I took a reading 6 hrs later and the FC was up to about 4.
Today I took another reading, and the FC is close to 1. I took the CYA,, and it is about 26 (according to the black dot test).

According to the poolmath calculator, I need to add about 106 ounces liquid CYA and 1.5 bottles of bleach. Does it matter in which order and does one have to sit before adding the other?

Thanks in advance
Add the CYA first, because the higher CYA means you will need to target a higher FC. The liquid stuff will be active within minutes, certainly within hours, so you need to use the estimated CYA value as the now value and set the FC target accordingly.

Add the CYA first, because the higher CYA means you will need to target a higher FC. The liquid stuff will be active within minutes, certainly within hours, so you need to use the estimated CYA value as the now value and set the FC target accordingly.

Great thanks, that liquid CYA is kind of pricey,,, does this powder/crystal look ok? According to the amazon reviews, it is 100% cya I can use a sock and wait a bit longer....
614C88SR6dL._SL1000_.jpg

So do you suggest I add the CYA (hanging a sock in front of a return)? Let it all dissolve? Retest in a couple days,, then add the chlorine?

You can add your chlorine while the CYA is hanging. Once it is all dissolved, dose your chlorine at the target CYA value. It may not show up on the CYA test right away, but it will be working. You should always keep your chlorine above the minimum for your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.