Water clear after a SLAM but still green/brown on bottom

Amber M

Jun 13, 2020
Green Ridge Missouri
This is my first SLAM so not sure if I'm doing it right or not. It's been 4 days now since I started. The water is nice and clear but I still have this stubborn green/brown on the bottom and bottom edge of my pool. I've brushed and vacuumed but can't seem to get rid of it. I've even worn old socks and tried to scrub it off with my feet.
Before the SLAM my levels were
FC-2
CC-.5
TA-300 (very high I know, I guess I added too much baking soda)
PH- 8 (also high)
CYA- between 1 and 29 ( brought up now to around 30)

How long do i need to keep slamming in order to get the green/brown off? Or will it ever come off other than powerwashing the pool at the end of the summer?
Are my TA and PH levels making trouble? I do not have any muriatic acid but found some PhDown at Walmart. Should I put some of that in the pool now?

I tested FC each time and added liquid bleach on Tuesday, twice on Wed, once on Thursday, twice on Friday and 4 times today.

I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

Amber
Hi and welcome. For starters please fill in you signature from link in my signature below. How are you testing, pool store testing just isn't anything you can trust and neither are test strips. Check out This link for the recommended test kit. You'll also benefit from a good read ABC,s pool chemistry. Also important is About slam process and Slam method.

Use some Muriatic Acid and work on getting the pH down to 7.2 It may take several rounds of MA to drop the pH. I think your stains will start to fade once the pH is lowered.
Thank you. I do not have muriatic acid but found some Clorox PHDown at walmart. Will that work? Main ingredient is sodium bisulfate. I believe that would be considered dry acid on the pool math calculator and says to add 41 oz with my readings of Ph=8, TA=300

Amber
Hi and welcome. For starters please fill in you signature from link in my signature below. How are you testing, pool store testing just isn't anything you can trust and neither are test strips. Check out This link for the recommended test kit. You'll also benefit from a good read ABC,s pool chemistry. Also important is About slam process and Slam method.
Thank you! I have added my signature and reviewed the information you suggested. I think I'm going to try to lower my Ph and TA and see if that might work

I don't think you entered your information correctly in poolmath. For a 10000 gallon pool 41 ounces of dry acid will only lower pH by 0.69 When I calculate based on your test results you should add 104 ounces of dry acid. I would divide that in 2 and add the first batch and let it circulate for 30 minutes then test pH again. Since the pH test maxes out at 8.0-8.2 your pH may actually be higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.