Water Chemistry levels

Can I use this instead of liquid chlorine for shock? Pour in about three packs and brush the walls and floor. Keep the pump running until pool gets clear. Will that work?

My pool store had me using that kind of product last season and it's the reason I have copper in my water. Thank goodness I flipped over to the TFP method while my copper level was just below the level at which my kid's blonde hair would be turning green.

I have a few packets left over that I'll be getting rid of.

m.

Reactions: jaindesi
If you are sure that your CYA is 40, then your FC level for a slam is 16. You have to keep the levels that high if you want to get this done. I know Marty has said it several times; Ill say it too. Follow the SLAM process. Theres a reason it works. If you dont follow it, you will keep having a cloudy pool.

Going to stop using the PUCKS and single packaged shock powder.. .Only use liquid chlorine or bleach.. Found a store near me Ocean state job lot that sells 1 gallon for $3.
You are right about the low FC compare to CYA. I just added more chlorine to raise it. I still see white stuff in some area which might be dead white algae. Pool look crisp but not there yet. Pump has been running for 2 days now. I might end up doing the overnight chlorine loss test this weekend. Doesn't look like i can use the pool tomorrow or the weekend with this high level of chlorine.

Last edited:
You can safely swim if your FC is above minimum and at or less than SLAM level. You need to also be able to see the bottom of the pool.

Above SLAM level the active chlorine reaches that of a public pool with 1ppm FC and 0 CYA. It can lead to irritation of skin and eyes.

Just out of question, what's the risk of swimming in water that has an FC above SLAM level?

m.
This is what I found online
Risks of Over-Chlorination
While slightly higher-than-normal levels of chlorine in your pool are harmless, exposure to an over-chlorinated pool can have adverse effects on your health and well-being. Excess chlorine can alter the pH level of the water in the pool, making it more acidic. The acid levels can cause any of the following symptoms:

• Irritant dermatitis which is a red skin rash characterized by raised itchy red bumps
  • Eye irritation and over-dilated blood vessels in the eyes
  • Asthma and respiratory illness due to excess chlorine vapor on the surface of the pool
Respiratory problems typically occur after prolonged exposure to over-chlorinated pools, which causes the respiratory tract to become sensitive to chlorine. Most of these symptoms clear up on their own without the need for treatment within a few days to a week.

Although extremely rare, extreme over-chlorination can also cause chlorine poisoning. The signs and symptoms of chlorine poisoning include:

• Nausea and vomiting
  • A burning sensation in the throat
  • Dizziness
  • Wheezing and shallow breathing
  • Persistent coughing
  • Tightness or pain in the chest
If you or anyone else who has used your pool experience these symptoms, contact your health care practitioner immediately in case treatment is needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can I use this instead of liquid chlorine for shock? Pour in about three packs and brush the walls and floor. Keep the pump running until pool gets clear. Will that work?

No! Nooooooooooo! Those Clorox XtraBlue products contain Copper!! You DO NOT want to add copper to your pretty pool or you can get stains. Ugh!

LIQUID CHLORINE IS THE BEST!. Walmart sells some 10% Liquid Chlorine in the pool section which is good.

Maddie

Glad you have an Ocean State near you. Best value of Chorine I’ve seen. That stuff is 12.5% so make sure you have the % right in your calculator.

No! Nooooooooooo! Those Clorox XtraBlue products contain Copper!! You DO NOT want to add copper to your pretty pool or you can get stains. Ugh!

LIQUID CHLORINE IS THE BEST!. Walmart sells some 10% Liquid Chlorine in the pool section which is good.

Maddie
How do you remove those stains? I do see a around three black stains in the shallow part of the pool.

How do you remove those stains? I do see a around three black stains in the shallow part of the pool.

Have you been using a bunch of those Clorox XtraBlue products? Pucks, granular stuff, algaecides?

But that is a problem to be dealt with after the SLAM process is done.

Late response but wanted to give my update. Pool has been crystal clear for some days now. Maintaining the FC level to recommend number. Really appreciate everyone's help. See attached picture of the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_190830.jpg
    IMG_20200706_190830.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.