Water Balancing 2.0 (or maybe 3.0!)

Oct 23, 2017
Miami, FL
So after several days of fussing with things, I'm at a point that I'm pretty close to where I need to be. At least I'm closer now than I was before.:D

FC=2.5
pH=7.0
TA=120
CH=130
CYA=70

I read the balancing page.

So I need to raise my pH but lower TA. PoolMath recommends putting pH at 7.0 and aerating to lower TA.

I also need to raise my FC so I will be adding 10% liquid chlorine (1 quart)

I'm thinking of adding the chlorine but holding off on the pH adjustment with soda ash as the pump runs to aerate. I know that raising the pH will also raise my TA some so I'm in somewhat of a tug of war.

Suggestions and thanks.

Do not add any chemicals to raise your pH. With the TA of 120 it will come up on its own.

You do need to manage your FC per the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You are under minimum and subject to algae.
In Miami I would assume your SWCG will run all year. So you should raise its % on or pump run time to increase its output.

Do not mess with borates. You should go some time with your water chemistry balanced to determine if borates make sense.

IF, and I mean IF, it is determined that adding borates is applicable, you are better off adding boric acid. Does not effect pH very much.

Take care.

Thanks. I have the Intex system which runs automatically. My NaCl is at 3800 and I'm getting a high salt alarm. I don't think the SWCG is operating due to the high salt alarm. Rain is in the forecast next week so I'm going to let it be for now.

I'll adjust the chlorine level and just sit tight for a few days to see how things fall in line.

If your SWCG is not generating then you need to check your FC daily. You are consuming at least 1 ppm of FC just do to UV I would expect.

Not sure what you mean by "runs automatically". You cannot set the the amount of time it runs or how at what % your SWCG is on?

Take care.

If your SWCG is not generating then you need to check your FC daily. You are consuming at least 1 ppm of FC just do to UV I would expect.

Not sure what you mean by "runs automatically". You cannot set the the amount of time it runs or how at what % your SWCG is on?

Take care.

Sorry. Bad usage I guess. I set the volume of the pool and the pump adjusts for how much time it must run. There is a "boost" cycle that is supposed to raise the Cl level and results in the system operating 4x the designated time. I only used that once as it was recommended to NOT use it from folks here. Which makes sense. No reason to burden the system. I get it.

My salt level is on the high side, 3800. That's with a test strip and not a reagent test. I will order the reagent test kit to get a more accurate level or take a sample to my local Pinch-A-Penny store.

For now though, the system shows "Working" on the panel. A couple days ago I was getting a high salt alarm. I'm guessing the chemistry changes I have been doing to get things balanced are causing it as I have not changed salt level.

My system is set to run during daylight hours starting at around 10AM.

I added some 10% Cl this morning and will test later this afternoon.

I appreciate all the advice. I know newbies are a PIA here! LOL I have read most of the educational links.

The programming for my volume on the Intex system is 7 hours run time.

As long as you are happy with the amount of chlorine your SWCG is putting out, great. But I would definitely not rely on a SWCG to determine how much it should run. It has no idea what your FC load is. Sounds odd -- but if it works great.

Take care.

As long as you are happy with the amount of chlorine your SWCG is putting out, great. But I would definitely not rely on a SWCG to determine how much it should run. It has no idea what your FC load is. Sounds odd -- but if it works great.

I'll get everything balanced and see how it maintains. If I need to adjust, I will. Good point. I suspect the programming is based on a more temperate climate zone and not SoFla so time may need to be increased. Or I just adjust the Cl manually with additions.

I appreciate the responses.

When you say something wrong at TFP, we're required to correct it, so I'm going to correct this...

I appreciate all the advice. I know newbies are a PIA here! LOL I have read most of the educational links.

Under no circumstances are newbies a PIA. Especially you. Enjoy the learning curve. Questions, comments, complaints, clarifications, venting, quizzical looks, big eyes, aha moments, drunken slurs, and even incomprehensible emojis, are most welcome.
You're :safe: with us!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.