water bag alternatives

We are pool novices and this is our first winter and closing. So take my advice for what it's worth :wink: We started off with a tarp and water tubes and after our first winter storm, the water tubes had deflated and I was outside in the middle of the night pulling the tarp up from the bottom of the pool. After some phone calls to some more experienced pool friends we opted for the plastic storage bins filled with water. So far so good, and the cost was not too bad either.
Are you still using plastic storage bins? I’m also Cle. First winter closing a pool.

The water bags lasted 2 seasons and the ones that were not damaged I gave away. Luckily, I was able to purchase the Acqua Blocks at a reasonable cost years ago, because now they are triple the cost. I personally filled by blocks with concrete, put the tops on and used tie straps to hold them in place. Yes, I know you are not supposed to do this, but my water level is high, I always pump the top of the water down in the pool under the cover. As the water builds up, I add a gallon of bleach, and some borax to raise the PH and pump it back underneath.

This ensures that the cover is always high, and not sagging to sinking in the pool. A warning though. Your cover must be very large and go out at least 5-7 feet away from the pool, and it must pulled tight. This way the cover can not sink in pool. Water has a tendency to evaporate in the winter, so replenishing the water with rain water is a good idea. I have attached a picture, but the cover extends out further. Depending on your pool size, these block could cost over $400 these days, while they were about $125 back then.

Attachments

• October of 2018 1463.JPG
    October of 2018 1463.JPG
    706 KB · Views: 20
The water bags lasted 2 seasons and the ones that were not damaged I gave away. Luckily, I was able to purchase the Acqua Blocks at a reasonable cost years ago, because now they are triple the cost. I personally filled by blocks with concrete, put the tops on and used tie straps to hold them in place. Yes, I know you are not supposed to do this, but my water level is high, I always pump the top of the water down in the pool under the cover. As the water builds up, I add a gallon of bleach, and some borax to raise the PH and pump it back underneath.

This ensures that the cover is always high, and not sagging to sinking in the pool. A warning though. Your cover must be very large and go out at least 5-7 feet away from the pool, and it must pulled tight. This way the cover can not sink in pool. Water has a tendency to evaporate in the winter, so replenishing the water with rain water is a good idea. I have attached a picture, but the cover extends out further. Depending on your pool size, these block could cost over $400 these days, while they were about $125 back then.
You keep your pool full over the winter? And add chemicals all winter? And run your pump in winter? I’m asking seriously btw not sarcastically. I’m currently considering getting these sands bags in 60”. One pack of 10 should work for my 18’x36’ winter cover. I’m hoping anyway! Anyone here have thoughts on these bags? Tube Sandbags - 4 Lengths and 5 Colors - The Sandbag Store

You keep your pool full over the winter? And add chemicals all winter? And run your pump in winter?

Because water evaporates under the solid tarp cover, and then water accumulates over the cover, I use a pump attached to a hose and pump it back under the cover. Rain water lowers PH so I add borax (1 box per season only) and a gallon of bleach to kill any algae on the surface twice during the winter. By pumping the water under the cover, now the cover will not sag dragging everything into the pool (water bags, aqua blocks, etc.). A little bit of bleach now keeps the water under the cover from algae problems.

Regarding what you use, I only would recommend the aqua blocks, given they are maintenance free. The problem again is the cost associated today. I also spray some Armor All twice a year so they do not dry out and crack. The ties are not that expensive either. As long as the cover extends pretty far out, anything heavy will keep the cover from sinking. Make sure water is added and pumped back into the pool as evaporation occurs.

No I do not run the pump or add any other chemicals. The pool lines are cleared and plugged, so I can not turn the pump back on. My pump goes into the basement for the winter and I have a dummy set up upon closing. I just use the pump on the tarp to pump water back in. It is a little bit of a PIA given there are a ton of leaves, but I remove the leaves first, then pump the water. This way, when I open the pool, the water level is right where it needs to be and I do not have to wait 2-3 hours to fill the pool back up.

I have a friend who uses 4*4 pressured treated wood, tucks them on the slots of the cover, pulls it tight, and works really well. However, he purchased the wood a long time ago before these crazy prices. In the end, you have to find something you are comfortable with using to support the cover, that will not slide back in the pool, and is cost effective.

This is not a bad price. I remember paying like $3 per block, and then $4 per block. This will run you $6.50 per block. Good luck and keep us posted.

You keep your pool full over the winter? And add chemicals all winter? And run your pump in winter? I’m asking seriously btw not sarcastically. I’m currently considering getting these sands bags in 60”. One pack of 10 should work for my 18’x36’ winter cover. I’m hoping anyway! Anyone here have thoughts on these bags? Tube Sandbags - 4 Lengths and 5 Colors - The Sandbag Store
I'd be worried the sand would eventually get wet and then get gross. Says they are canvas so I doubt they are waterproof.

You keep your pool full over the winter? And add chemicals all winter? And run your pump in winter?

Because water evaporates under the solid tarp cover, and then water accumulates over the cover, I use a pump attached to a hose and pump it back under the cover. Rain water lowers PH so I add borax (1 box per season only) and a gallon of bleach to kill any algae on the surface twice during the winter. By pumping the water under the cover, now the cover will not sag dragging everything into the pool (water bags, aqua blocks, etc.). A little bit of bleach now keeps the water under the cover from algae problems.

Regarding what you use, I only would recommend the aqua blocks, given they are maintenance free. The problem again is the cost associated today. I also spray some Armor All twice a year so they do not dry out and crack. The ties are not that expensive either. As long as the cover extends pretty far out, anything heavy will keep the cover from sinking. Make sure water is added and pumped back into the pool as evaporation occurs.

No I do not run the pump or add any other chemicals. The pool lines are cleared and plugged, so I can not turn the pump back on. My pump goes into the basement for the winter and I have a dummy set up upon closing. I just use the pump on the tarp to pump water back in. It is a little bit of a PIA given there are a ton of leaves, but I remove the leaves first, then pump the water. This way, when I open the pool, the water level is right where it needs to be and I do not have to wait 2-3 hours to fill the pool back up.

I have a friend who uses 4*4 pressured treated wood, tucks them on the slots of the cover, pulls it tight, and works really well. However, he purchased the wood a long time ago before these crazy prices. In the end, you have to find something you are comfortable with using to support the cover, that will not slide back in the pool, and is cost effective.

This is not a bad price. I remember paying like $3 per block, and then $4 per block. This will run you $6.50 per block. Good luck and keep us posted.
Ok I gotcha now. That makes total sense. Thank you so much. I’ll let you all know what we end up doing and how it works out.

Hi,
Your signature indicates a vinyl hard side pool. Is this an AGP? If so, what works "swimmingly" (pun intended) on an in-ground pool may not work at all for an above-ground. Just wanted to clear that up, just in case.

Hi,
Your signature indicates a vinyl hard side pool. Is this an AGP? If so, what works "swimmingly" (pun intended) on an in-ground pool may not work at all for an above-ground. Just wanted to clear that up, just in case.
It is AGP, but wood deck surrounds it. I’m going to start looking for 5 gallon buckets to hold down my cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.