krusej23

Mar 10, 2023
Central Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I drained my pool to a little below the skimmer line for winter. I went out to add some water filled milk jugs to the winter cover to hold it down in all of the wind we get and noticed the water line was right at the skimmer level. I don't have a skimmer cover so it's essentially open to the elements and have the return plugged with a screw in plug. Should I drain the water a little lower below the skimmer or is it okay with ice right at the skimmer level?
1000003690.jpg

Should I drain the water a little lower below the skimmer or is it okay with ice right at the skimmer level?
Should be okay if you have the suction hose removed from the bottom of the skimmer to let water out. If the suction line is to remain connected, or simply as insurance, I'd place some cut up foam noodles to the inside of the skimmer.

Everything was removed from the skimmer so any water that gets into the skimmer should drain out. I started to worry a little bit since it is plastic if any water does get in it an freezes into little cracks or something. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

Maybe I'm just worrying too much.
Nothing wrong with be extra cautious. The foam noodles or a plastic jug in there should be all the extra insurance you need if for some weird reason the bottom hole closes on you and fills with water.

If there’s any ice at all do not disturb the pool water or the water on the cover. Shifting Ice can slice your liner.
The water (now possibly mixed with ice) on your cover has displaced the water in the pool & it has probably already drained some out of the skimmer opening. When you are able (after it thaws) to pump off the cover the water level in the pool will go back down.
Since you live in an area that gets ice & snow accumulation that you’re unable to keep pumped off mid winter you may want to consider draining somewhere between 3-6 inches below the skimmer for closing.
I keep my water level pretty high in the pool over winter but I am also able to use an automatic cover pump to keep my cover pretty much dry for the majority of the time my pool is closed.
You should also consider replacing your skimmer lid if it is missing to prevent accumulation of precipitation within the skimmer body.
For now all you can do is add some cut up pool noodles as Tex suggested so if ice does accumulate & expand the noodles will give

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.