Was it Brown Algae? Solved with 1 gal Anti Rust

Captain 776

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2016
Thailand
My pool has been sparkling for 5 yrs but over the last year all white plastic turns dark brown, walls get coated also but water stays very clear. A few times I had 2 guys come and they spend all day scrubbing entire pool by hand, it looks great when they leave and it’s turning brown again in 2-3 weeks. I have no iron in my system anywhere that I know of and did a total filter and Multiport replacement 9 months ago and put Zeolite in filter.
I know pool companies are not favored here, but I have one here in Thailand that is honest and good.
The brown that forms will not brush off and I even tried the pressure washer underwater......did nothing. A hard bristle brush did nothing. A Scotchbrite was only thing take it off but LOTS OF SCRUBBING.
Pool company dumped 1 gallon of anti rust in there and in 15 minutes you could begin to see the difference. No scrubbing, it dissolves whatever it is and it goes away by itself.
this anti rust is not harsh chemicals, it contains Lactic Acid and an oxide from coconut plus other ingredients. I will post a picture of the label if it’s in English.
all the grout lines were very dark brown......now u can see how sparkling white everything is.
i swam in the pool for 40 minutes on the second day and I have super sensitive skin.......no problem at all.
Total Cost = 33.00 dollars..... 18 dollars for gallon anti rust and a 15 dollar service call

hace any of you heard of adding Anti Rust to deal with tough brown staining?

The product you added sounds like it served as a sequestrant to remove the iron staining from the pool and (for now) has it in a soluble form in the water itself. That's what a sequestrant does - keep iron in the water. But it usually wears-off over time and needs to be replenished. You can also test those stained areas with some Vitamin C tablets, either rub it directly on the stain or place a few in a thin sock or nylon (crushed) and let it sit on the stain.. It definitely sounds like iron, perhaps from your local water supply or well.

My pool has been sparkling for 5 yrs but over the last year all white plastic turns dark brown, walls get coated also but water stays very clear. A few times I had 2 guys come and they spend all day scrubbing entire pool by hand, it looks great when they leave and it’s turning brown again in 2-3 weeks. I have no iron in my system anywhere that I know of and did a total filter and Multiport replacement 9 months ago and put Zeolite in filter.
I know pool companies are not favored here, but I have one here in Thailand that is honest and good.
The brown that forms will not brush off and I even tried the pressure washer underwater......did nothing. A hard bristle brush did nothing. A Scotchbrite was only thing take it off but LOTS OF SCRUBBING.
Pool company dumped 1 gallon of anti rust in there and in 15 minutes you could begin to see the difference. No scrubbing, it dissolves whatever it is and it goes away by itself.
this anti rust is not harsh chemicals, it contains Lactic Acid and an oxide from coconut plus other ingredients. I will post a picture of the label if it’s in English.
all the grout lines were very dark brown......now u can see how sparkling white everything is.
i swam in the pool for 40 minutes on the second day and I have super sensitive skin.......no problem at all.
Total Cost = 33.00 dollars..... 18 dollars for gallon anti rust and a 15 dollar service call

hace any of you heard of adding Anti Rust to deal with tough brown staining?
It is 9 months later and still crystal clear, grout lines bright white, and plastic accessories bright white. Not doubting you, just saying for now all is well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.