Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
So I'm pretty set on adding a pH doser to my pool system. All season long, I have to add in roughly 2 gallons of MA over the course of a week (typically about 2 quarts ever other day because of continual rising pH due to a) all the aeration created in my pool and b) my auto-fill being 300-300TA. This constant pH rise occurs even when I try to keep my TA targetted around 70. I thought borates would help, but others here seem to think it's not going to make all that much of a difference. In short, I'm wanting to SAVE TIME managing the pool and adding in MA manually and having to take pH/TA readings with my test kit, etc and maybe get around to checking things 1-2x a week.. I really just want to automate this process as much as possible.

I've looked at the following:
  • Jandy Tru Dose (not interested in going this route)
  • Pentair Intellichem (possibly but, not sure I like this solution much either)
  • Hanna Instruments BL100 (a couple of other forum members have this)

For the Pentair Intellichem SKU#: 522621 (sku-page)
I'm having difficulty understand if I could even run this with my Jandy system, as a complete stand alone system. Also unsure if I -need- a Pentair SWG to tie into this (I was reading elsewhere that maybe it needs to tie into a Pentair SWG to determine if there's water flowing) . I also read that this particular part # also comes with the Acid Tank reservoir as well. Price seems to be between $1800-2800 which is a bit insane? I just dont seem to care all that much for this, although the Jandy offering looked even worse.

For the Hanna Instruments BL100 (pH Controller and Dosing Pump BL100 - Hanna Instruments)
This stand alone system looks really really nice based on the documentation/manual (https://www.hannainst.com/hubfs/product-manuals/MANBL10X_03_21.pdf?hsLang=en) It doesn't include a reservoir but I assume I could either use this one Pentair Acid Container, 4 Gal | 521378 (4 gallons) or this one Stenner Product #STS7GC: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement (7.5 gallon). I like the way it plumbs into the system, and seems like I could just power it over 220V from the filter pump relay itself and just create a target set point for my pH and let it do its dosing thing and would run anytime the filter pump is running. Cost would be around $700-$800 or so roughly, with a tank. Seems reasonable.

Anyone want to chime in on their experiences with any of these pH dosing systems and utilizing a system like this based on their experiences? I know for most people it's a waste, but if I can save time by not having to manually dose every other day through the pool season, it's an easy no brainer for me.

Attachments

• BL100 installation.png
    BL100 installation.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 12
Why not just setup a Stenner tank to dose MA that you can automate through a relay in your Jandy controller. Don’t bother with pH probe feedback and all that complication. Just simply set the acid dosing pump to run for a short time once a day and then test and adjust as needed. Given how high your TA is in your fill water, you are in very little danger of crashing your pH. As long as the acid dosing pump adds a little acid each day, testing every other day or so should reduce your burden considerably. You want avoid trading one pain in the neck (testing and adding acid every day) for a different pain in the neck (fiddling with pH probes and a finicky automation process). Just get an acid dosing pump to run on a fixed schedule and it will be very easy to maintain your pool.

I second JoyfulNoise. I have a Stenner pump with an acid tank which runs for a fixed period each day. Works great, low cost and low maintenance. Once you have the system dialed in, I have found that I don't need to adjust the feedrate. Just fill the acid tank every few weeks.

@JoyfulNoise and @dschlic1 -- Can you assist in helping me figure out what I'd need to buy to make that work (relating to equipment/parts)? I guess I'm a bit confused how to even go about figuring those pieces out. Any pictures of your equipment/setup by chance? Sorry for my ignorance on the build-your-own, that's why I was looking at other options.

(I still like the Hanna BL100 a lot, but willing to consider this alternative)

Wow this is cool.. Stenner peristaltic metering pumps build an item number tool you can build you own Stenner setup with customizing the part # needed for pump type, tank size and color, voltage (110/220), etc. that you want. Thought I'd share, it's a neat link. The following choices/selections give you the part # I found up above in my prior message.

1668562410516.png

That’s exactly what you want to use. A fixed rate pump and tank. Simply run the pump using your automation system. That way you can schedule the dosing to run whenever you want.

Just make sure to use the highest quality check valves and tubing with muriatic acid. Also, buy spare tubing as it will only last a year before it needs changing.

Awesome, wow I'm so excited for Spring and the new pool season with this addition. Thanks !

No pressure at all, but I have a Stenner pump and tak that was used for a year for sale. It was used for a water treatment system (always indoors) that I pulled out and replaced with a different solution. You can find details in the coffee bar if you are interested or just DM me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Curious how using softened water in the fill line would change things? Do they make filters/systems to reduce TA?

Residential softeners only remove mineral hardness, calcium and magnesium, they have no impact on on pH or TA. There are ion exchange resins that remove carbonate alkalinity but you would have to substitute either chloride ion (Cl-) or hydroxide (OH-) which make the chloride increase over time or drive the pH up. Those types of anionic resins are not commonly found outside of an industrial lab as they are expensive and difficult to maintain.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.