Wanting an above ground pool - DIY or Installed?

Haddyr

Apr 23, 2020
Georgetown, TX
We recently bought 2 acres of land and want to add a pool. We have a lot of rock, so we think that the only economical choice will be an above ground. I am wanting the biggest I can get. Our yard is not level, so with the rock, I am thinking we will need to build up to make it level. I was looking at the pool factory and the prices are great, but my husband has concerns about installing it ourselves. Is it really best to buy the more expensive pool from someone local and have them installed? All the reviews I read talk about how easy it is to install.

We purchased our pool from The Pool Factory. Initially we planned to install it our self but after receiving the pool and seeing all the parts and the book for instructions on installing it, we opted to hire someone to install it for us. Best decision we ever made! We didn't have much ground prep needed, but we did that our self to save money. BTW, if I had it to do all over again, I'd purchase a pool with resin top rails, instead of steel Krystal Kote top rails, they bend to easily. We bought the 15x30 Cameo Oval Pool, we love everything about it except the steel top rails, but this pool is not for SWG pools either, just fyi. We upgraded our entrance steps to wedding cake style steps and they have been a nightmare harboring algae in places you cannot see and they are ridiculous to try and remove from pool when closing it for the winter. We are replacing them with the Royal Entrance II one piece steps Above ground pool step | Royale II | Innovaplas and https://www.innovaplas.com/app/uploads/2020/02/7010065_Royale2_bil.pdf. I've only found one US online store that sells them Royal Entrance II Model 5-ROYAL | Rails, Ladders & Steps, coupon code TURKEYDAY gets you 12% off and yes, that code is still working today. I see they do offer a one piece step by Champion, I researched this step as well, it looks pretty good, but it's not as wide of a step as the Royal Entrance II and the ballast (weight) you add sand to, install under the step using clamps and screws, which worries me in harboring algae and being able to easily get to it. These are the only two reasons why I decided against this step but it could be a great step, I cannot say either way. I will never again buy steps that come in pieces to be put together or needing weighed down by some means that is not totally enclosed (water can reach inside it) &/or is not easily assessable.......I am tired of fighting algae issues mid-late summer, lol! I would upgrade your pool liner, if your budget allows it as well. If the pool you purchase only has one return, I'd add a second return for better water circulation, we also added two bottom drains to ours. I highly recommend opting for a Robotic Cleaner, what a time saver! Sorry, I know more info than you were asking for but I wish I had found this site before I made our pool purchase because I didn't know squat on what to buy or not buy, so I hope this helps you some. :) Good luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Haddyr
I'd see if you can find someone who will install a pool you provide, and then order from The Pool Factory. I say this only because I had a heck of a time finding someone willing to install a pool that I already had. Most of the installers around here work for pool stores and the pool stores won't give out their installers name if you aren't buying from them. (which makes sense, but it's frustrating) If you think you can install it, you still might want to hire out someone to level the area. You really don't want to build up to level. You need to level to the lowest point since the pool needs to be installed on undisturbed ground.
I've leveled and installed 2 intex pools, and when I finally get my 'real' above ground pool, I'll be hiring all that done! I know a lot of people do it all themselves, but I know my limits. Good luck with your project!

I'd see if you can find someone who will install a pool you provide, and then order from The Pool Factory. I say this only because I had a heck of a time finding someone willing to install a pool that I already had. Most of the installers around here work for pool stores and the pool stores won't give out their installers name if you aren't buying from them. (which makes sense, but it's frustrating) If you think you can install it, you still might want to hire out someone to level the area. You really don't want to build up to level. You need to level to the lowest point since the pool needs to be installed on undisturbed ground.
I've leveled and installed 2 intex pools, and when I finally get my 'real' above ground pool, I'll be hiring all that done! I know a lot of people do it all themselves, but I know my limits. Good luck with your project!
Scout123, yes, thank you, I forgot to mention that in my message. We have a friend that installs pool for a living, so we didn't have a difficult time finding someone but probably would have if not. Also, suggestion for Haddyr for this, maybe post on FB if anyone installs pools or knows someone that could be recommended that installs pools, idk, just an idea if you have a hard time finding someone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.