Wanted: DE Filter advice from the Pros here at TFP...!!

Jun 16, 2013
Bucks County PA
Hi Guys/Gal's..

Time for another season out here on the East Coast. I want to get some advice from the Pro's regarding DE filters.

Here are my CURRENT Pool setup:
- I have a 17x34 in-ground Vinyl liner Pool (3ft to 8ft deep)
- Hayward 1 1/2 Super Pump
- Hayward DE EC-65 Filter (with 1 1/2 PVC)

I want to upgrade my Current DE filter to something Newer, however, I'm having some challenges on understanding the sizing. I was looking at the Hayward Progrid line and I see that they make a DE2420, 3620, 4820, etc... From what I can see, I think the DE2420 will work for my pool, however when I call two different pool supply houses up for reference, one tells me that I need a 3620 and the other says a 4820. So I want to hear what the pros have to say about what size or SQ filter I should be looking at. Please keep in mind my pump is 1 1/2 and I'm also running 1 1/2 PVC as well. Heck, I'm also not stuck on the Hayward line either... if there is another filter that you guys recommend, please share.

I ask because I can get a DE2420 new for a decent price off a friend of mine. He purchased it new and never connected it.

Thanks for your help.... Rick

Rick,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all filter challenged pool owners... :drown:

We generally recommend going with as big a filter as possible so that you don't have to clean it as often.

Looks like your pool is about 15K gallons. If me, I would not go lower than a 48 sq. ft. filter and would probably buy a 60 sq. ft. filter. Of course it is not my money... :p

The one you are thinking about using is a 24 sg. ft. filter.

While it would certainly work, I suspect that you will have to backwash and clean it much more often that I would want to do.

Let's see what our other members have to say...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Your EC-65 is 34 Sq/Ft. Are you having problems?
I'm still using an EC-75 & having no problems. I'm thinking if you adopt the TFP methods you'll have crystal clear water with your current filter. It will also require cleaning less often.

Edit - Just noticed you've been a member for 4 years & most likely already have a TFP.

Hey Guy's..

Thank you so much for the prompt reply back, its very much appreciated. I dont care what they say about you in the other forums, you guys are okay in my book....lol.

Couple counter questions that maybe I'm missing. I did a little research ahead of time on my own, and I'm not sure how you are coming up with 15k gallons...?

is my understanding of the math wrong...?
- Size = 17x34=578
- Depth = 8+3=11 (11/2 = 5.5)
- 578x5.5 = 3179
- 3179x 7.48 = 23,778 gallons of water..?

Not sure how your coming up with 15k...? - I'm curious to hear where I went wrong.

@Mike162 - No, other than it being a pain in the tail to assemble and a leaky diaphragm gasket every now and again. Other than that, the water is crystal clear. I just get bored and wanted to upgrade to something more efficient. Yup, I'm all TFP method and have been since about, say, 4 years ago...lol.

Okay, the the 48xx series... Would you guys recommend anything other than Hayward..? granted, I'm not trying to drop $1,000 because I'm bored. I'm not that bored..!!

Hey Guy's..

Thank you so much for the prompt reply back, its very much appreciated. I dont care what they say about you in the other forums, you guys are okay in my book....lol.

Couple counter questions that maybe I'm missing. I did a little research ahead of time on my own, and I'm not sure how you are coming up with 15k gallons...?

It was me not you.. :( I used Pool Math and entered 34 x "1" and 6 feet deep... My typo showed a volume of 1500 which my old eyes read a 15K.. Sigh!!!

Your number of 23.8K is right on...

I don't think there is a lot of difference between brands except maybe the color...

Good luck with your filter selection...

Jim R.

DOH! I assumed Jim had the volume right ... with a pool that size. 60sqft would be minimum (and likely fine for your season), but the 72sqft would be better.

Not sure how Jay jay is getting by with a 36sqft filter ... although our recommendations tend to trying to only required 1-2 cleanings per year, not once a month.

Not sure how Jay jay is getting by with a 36sqft filter ... although our recommendations tend to trying to only required 1-2 cleanings per year, not once a month.

Figured a few backwashes a season was normal. The pool and filter were here when I moved in (2004). I never knew anything else and the pool stores always said everything was fine. (Just add these bags, and this jug, and this powder, etc.......) TFP all the way now. A larger filter with less maintenance would be nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.