Want to raise pH via aeration for TA lowering - get air leak

spidey07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
I am using trichlor for now so I can understand my pool better and how to deal with vacations. Using trichlor I experienced as expected ph drop and was using borax to raise pH and get my TA above 100 via baking soda. Then I got a very small suction side air leak cause returns to be ever so slightly burpy.

During this air leak my pH maintained a SOLID 7.7, didn't have to do anything, this went on for a few weeks still using trichlor. The air leak was actually raising the pH by the amount lost to using trichlor. Once I fixed the leak, low and behold my pH started dropping and is now down to 7.4. Pump runs 24x7.

I'm thinking there HAS to be something you could put on a return to cause this kind of airation (TINY bubbles) and help folks when they're trying to lower TA (get pH down, then raise pH via airation). Or get drastic (and I'm not suggesting it), purposefully cause a tiny leak on your pump basket.

Trying to give back,
spidey

FC=7
CC=0
ALK=100
pH=7.4-

Re: Want to raise pH via aeration for TA lowering - get air

Yes, you were aerating the water enough to have carbon dioxide outgas faster. Having a higher TA level would also accomplish that as would having a lower pH target (or, put another way, the pH rose until the Trichlor acidity and carbon dioxide outgassing were balanced). While the pH was remaining stable, the TA was slowly dropping over time. Eventually that would cause the pH target for balance to drop and even further down the road could eventually exhaust the TA and have the pH crash. So even with this pH balance approach there is still maintenance required to maintain the TA level. You just didn't see that because you didn't have the air leak for an entire swim season.

That's an interesting thought regarding creating more aeration for those trying to lower the TA. There are all sorts of aerators, but if someone made a pump lid that allowed for some degree of air to come in...

I took a 1-1/2" threaded connector and added a small piece of pipe, then a 45 and piece of pipe about 24" then another 45. Then another small piece and put a cap on the end. I then drilled 1/2" holes in the cap. I took out my return nozzle on the side wall and screwed this pipe on. Had it above water level spraying into the pool. Aerates perfectly. If I get time I'll post a picture of it.

43f2ac83-3c93-45d6.jpg

43f2ac83-3ca0-7eb4.jpg

chem geek said:
Yes, you were aerating the water enough to have carbon dioxide outgas faster. Having a higher TA level would also accomplish that as would having a lower pH target (or, put another way, the pH rose until the Trichlor acidity and carbon dioxide outgassing were balanced). While the pH was remaining stable, the TA was slowly dropping over time. Eventually that would cause the pH target for balance to drop and even further down the road could eventually exhaust the TA and have the pH crash. So even with this pH balance approach there is still maintenance required to maintain the TA level. You just didn't see that because you didn't have the air leak for an entire swim season.

That's an interesting thought regarding creating more aeration for those trying to lower the TA. There are all sorts of aerators, but if someone made a pump lid that allowed for some degree of air to come in...

I did notice a TA lower from 110 to 80-90 during the few weeks of the air leak, I will be raising it tonight. Adding 4 pounds baking soda.

Trying to get to know my pool much better, what you said makes sense. I will say the air leak made a HUGE difference in my pools behavior on pH/ALK. Once repaired, everything changed (over days of course).

I test FC and pH daily, but I'll keep an eye on ALK

Most folks try desperately to stop the intake of air into the pump, not encourage it!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would think that you would lose quite a bit of filtering efficiency and create a lot of pump noise if you purposefully created a suction side air leak.

That said, from posts here on the forum it appears that that is perhaps the single most common mechanical problem with pools and many people just accept it as normal.

duraleigh said:
Most folks try desperately to stop the intake of air into the pump, not encourage it!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would think that you would lose quite a bit of filtering efficiency and create a lot of pump noise if you purposefully created a suction side air leak.

That said, from posts here on the forum it appears that that is perhaps the single most common mechanical problem with pools and many people just accept it as normal.

See here for my fix on suction side air leak. I felt like freaking superman fixing it.

using-plumbers-putty-to-fix-small-air-leak-on-returns-fixed-t47985.html

I'm not suggesting purposely cause a suction side air leak, only the effects of it.

chem geek said:

My pump lid has a black o-ring around it that I can replace for a few bucks. It rests in a groove around the plastic lid. Suppose I bought another o-ring and cut a half inch out of it......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.